Architecture (BSc)University of Wales Trinity Saint David
All available course dates
About this program
Architects are experts in the design of buildings and places, creating the setting for human life.
Their primary skill is design – the ability to imagine three-dimensional spaces and objects and apply knowledge of materials, structure and energy turning concept into reality working with engineers, contractors and many other professionals.
This course embodies a fresh approach to architectural education that is rooted in its locality but with a broad global perspective.
Architecture is fundamentally about meeting the needs of people in ways that respect their culture and values and the character and traditions of their communities - while offering them the best that new technology and contemporary international design culture can contribute to the shaping of their environment.
The course is intended for those whose ambition is to become a qualified architect, but is also a good choice for anyone who has an interest in architecture and design and is seeking a broad-based degree programme that can lead to a wide variety of career opportunities.
The programme of study is centred on a sequence of design studio projects that start in the first weeks with the exploration of space, form, colour and materials. By the end of the first years, students are designing small but complex buildings and places in detail.
You will need 128 UCAS Tariff points from A levels or their equivalent.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Design Studio 1A (Structure & Materials)
- Design Studio 1B (Space & Form)
- Design Studio 1C (Skills)
- History & Theory 1
- Environment & Technology 1
- The Modern World
- Design Studio 2
- History & Theory 2
- Environment & Technology 2
- Profession & Business 1
- Design Studio 3
- Profession & Business 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for 2021/2022: £13,500
The programme is designed to be prescribed/validated by the Architects Registration Board (ARB) and the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) as a Part One qualification in architecture so the most likely first destination for a graduate is work as an architectural assistant* in an architectural practice.
There are many other possible employment opportunities including other parts of the construction industry (building contractors and sub-contractors), the creative industries (applying computer drawing and visualisation skills) and planning or urban design.
Graduate skills developed by the programme (based on the ‘graduate attributes’ set out in the RIBA/ARB criteria for validation/ prescription of qualifications in architecture and the QAA benchmark statement for architecture).
- The ability to generate design proposals using understanding of a body of knowledge, some at the current boundaries of professional practice and the academic discipline of architecture;
- The ability to apply a range of communication methods and media to present design proposals clearly and effectively;
- Understanding of the alternative materials, processes and techniques that apply to architectural design and building construction;
- The ability to evaluate evidence, arguments and assumptions in order to make and present sound judgments within a structured discourse relating to architectural culture, theory and design;
- Knowledge of the context of the architect and the construction industry and the professional qualities needed for decision making in complex and unpredictable circumstances.
- The ability to identify individual learning needs and understand the personal responsibility required for further professional education.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
UWTSD is the oldest University in Wales and was founded in 1822. It has campuses in rural and city locations in the UK. The University’s main campuses are situated in various locations in and around Swansea’s city centre as well...
Want to know more about Architecture (BSc)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!