Bachelor's Degree in Mechatronic Engineering (BEng)University of Southampton
About this program
Bachelor's Degree in Mechatronic Engineering (BEng)
Gain the skills to design intelligent machines, from electric vehicles to large-scale industrial robots. You’ll learn how to design systems that rely on mechanical elements, electrical power, sensing and control. The growing complexity of electro-mechanical systems has led to a need for engineers with this skill set, so you’ll have excellent job prospects when you graduate.
You’ll develop your engineering skills and gain specialist knowledge in an area of mechatronics that interests you. This includes the latest research developments in fields such as energy harvesting, sensors and mechatronics in healthcare. You’ll work in fully equipped electronics labs and a high-spec computer lab.
The projects typically involve experimental work or the development of a prototype system. The wide range of topics on offer reflect our academics’ research interests, so you’ll be supervised by an expert in your chosen field. Past projects include:
- the development of an energy-harvesting carpet
- use of a capaciflector (a sensor that enables robots to avoid collisions) to build a heart monitor
You’ll undertake practical work throughout the degree, including lab work and projects that involve designing and building mechatronics components and systems.
This mechatronic engineering degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of:
- fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer
- partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
- AAA including mathematics and an additional required subject
- A*AB including grades A*A in mathematics and an additional required subject (in any order)
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 36 points overall with 18 points required at Higher Level including 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches or 7 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation, and 6 at Higher Level in an additional required subject
- D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A in A-level mathematics and A in an additional required A-level subject.
- We do not accept the BTEC Extended Diploma or the BTEC Diploma without additional A-levels.
- Applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma or a BTEC Diploma should apply for the Engineering/Physics/Mathematics/Geophysics Foundation Year
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Digital Systems and Microprocessors
- Electrical Materials and Fields
- Electronic Circuits
- Electronic Systems
- Mathematics for Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Solid State Devices
- Circuits and Systems
- Control and Communications
- Electrical Machines
- Electromechanical Energy Conversion
- Engineering Design
- Mathematics for Electronics & Electrical Engineering Part II
- Power Electronics and Drives
- Fluids and Mechanical Materials
- Mechanical Power Transmission and Vibration
- Part III Individual Project
- Power Systems Technology
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Advanced Partial Differential Equations
- Automobile Systems
- Control System Design
- Engineering Management and Law
- Introduction to Bionanotechnology
- Manufacturing and Materials
- Operational Research
- Robotic Systems
- Space Systems Engineering
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £23,720
- Final award: Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (BEng (Hons))
- Name of Award: Mechatronic Engineering
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
Almost every field of engineering involves a combination of mechanical engineering and electronics, so you’ll have plenty of options for mechatronics jobs. You could become an aerospace, automotive or railway engineer. Or, you could develop robotics for industrial or manufacturing purposes.
Southampton’s mechatronics courses have an excellent reputation in industry, giving you an advantage when you enter the job market. Our Electronics and Computer Science graduates tend to go straight into jobs in high-tech companies.
The transferable skills you gain will also be welcome in a range of other sectors. Our alumni have joined professions such as law and finance, and have started their own companies. This degree is also a firm foundation for further study at master's or PhD level.
You can get placements and employment with local, national and international employers with our help.
Electronics and Computer Science graduates have secured roles at organisations including:
Message the school
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
University of Southampton
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Mechatronic Engineering (BEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!