Master’s Degree in Physics and Simulation in Civil Engineering - Computations in Coastal and Civil EngineeringUniversité de Pau et des pays de l'Adour
About this program
Master’s Degree in Physics and Simulation in Civil Engineering - Computations in Coastal and Civil Engineering
The CCCE track focuses on the modeling and simulation of coastal engineering related processes. Topics extensively studied include, wave modeling, waves interactions with structures, soil and structure complex behavior. A specific focus is put on numerical methods and open source computational tools commonly used in this field including : Telemac 2D, Artemis, OPENFOAM, BOSZ (Boussinesq wave model), XBEACH, Cast3M (finite element structure model).
This track belongs to the international master’s degree in Physics and Simulation in Civil Engineering which offers multidisciplinary key courses to achieve an advanced specialist level in the aforementioned fields. It is suited for students planning both an academic or an industrial career and provides the theoretical basis and the practical expertise required to pursue in research or R&D structures or companies.
The master is fully taught in English and is hosted at ISA BTP Engineering School in the French Basque coast area (Anglet, France).
The program is carried out in close collaboration with SIAME and LFCR research laboratories where numerical and experimental practical tutorial will be performed.
Students are integrated in the local research environment. They benefit from the G2MP facilities (laboratories) and assist to the scientific seminars of the research teams.
Students will also benefit from the global research environment and administrative support of the University Pau & Pays Adour, the E2S I-site program and the research federation IPRA.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum required score CECRL B2 level in English
Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Science or equivalent.
Students must have a Master Degree and must be ranked in the top 20%.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
SEMESTER 1 (SEPTEMBER – JANUARY)
Basics in coastal engineering 2 ECTS
• Water wave mechanics
• Coastal Structures
Wave modeling 1 4 ECTS
• Non linear shallow water equations
• Berkhoff equation and other wave agitation models
• Numerical project (Telemac2D, ARTEMIS, XBEACH)
Wave modeling 2 6 ECTS
• Boussinesq and Green Naghdi models
• Wave models based on Navier-Stokes equations
• Numerical project (BOSZ, OPENFOAM)
Mechanics and computational modelling 6 ECTS
• Non linear behaviour of materials : Plasticity, damage
• Numerical methods for non-linear problems
• Case study on a Finite Element Program (Cast3M)
Geotechnics and hydrogeology 6 ECTS
• Superficial foundations
• Deep foundations
• Hydrological cycle and interactions between soil and environment
Language 3 ECTS
• French (or Spanish) as a Foreign Langage
Bibliography 3 ECTS
SEMESTER 2 (JANUARY – JULY)
Research internship 30 ECTS
Example of research internship topics proposed in 2018-2019: Design of an experimental set-up to generate wave impacts based on
the dam break flow, Numerical modeling of waves generated by landslide, Interaction
This course will:
• Prepare students at an advanced specialized level to meet present and future challenges in (geo)mechanics or physics of porous media,
• Develop engineering research skills to engage in quality and successful research,
• Prepare students for leading positions in industry and government Research and Development departments.
At the end of this program, the students in the Physics and Simulation in Civil Engineering Master will be able to:
• Demonstrate mastery of a solid body of knowledge and skills in engineering science to solve relevant problems,
• Design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data,
• Review, analyze, and interpret the body of scientific literature, contemporary issues and innovations in physics and civil engineering area,
• Produce quality research,
• Carry out a research project to understand a physical phenomenon pertaining to civil engineering, coastal engineering, geomechanics or physics of porous media.
Message the school
About this institute
Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour
The University of Pau and Pays de l’Adour (UPPA) is a multidisciplinary university which covers three major areas of study: Law, economics, business, management Science and technology Literature, languages, arts, social sciences and humanities and sport UPPA offers its students...
Université de Pau et des pays de l'Adour
Want to know more about Master’s Degree in Physics and Simulation in Civil Engineering - Computations in Coastal and Civil Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!