New Zealand Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering (Specialist Support) (Level 4)Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
New Zealand Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering (Specialist Support) (Level 4)
All available course dates
About this program
If you want to become an Aeronautical Engineer, this is the programme for you.
NMIT has been teaching aeronautical engineering for many years. For you to be able to apply in this programme, if you are an international student, you must be living in New Zealand for six consecutive months, prior to applying.
This programme is NMIT’s main “Into-Employment” aeronautical engineering programme and is designed to provide you with all the skills and knowledge needed to kick start a successful career in the commercial Aeronautical Engineering world.
The programme has an excellent reputation with aircraft maintenance engineers in the New Zealand aviation industry and abroad. As a graduate you will be work ready with the proficiency and reliability to be a motivated and trustworthy employee.
During the two years on this programme, you will complete two level 4 qualifications:
- New Zealand Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering (Specialist Support) (General Aviation)
- New Zealand Certificate in Aeronautical Engineering (Workplace Introductory Skills)
These two qualifications will provide you with the skills you need to go into employment in aeronautical engineering.
NMIT is New Zealand's first approved New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority (NZCAA) Part 147 Certified Maintenance Training Organisation.
This programme is popular and has limited spaces so apply early to get on your preferred intake. Note this programme can only be studied full time.
Career opportunities and pathways
As a graduate you will have all the core knowledge and experience to excel in your chosen career of aeronautical engineering. You will be able to:
- apply for work with a major airline such as Air New Zealand or Qantas (we have ex-NMIT graduates working in those companies);
- apply for work with General Aviation operators in New Zealand;
- apply for work with Aeronautical Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) organisations in New Zealand.
Industry based learning
This programme includes a work-based training course in the second year. As part of this course, students are expected to do a minimum of 240 hours of work-experience (equivalent to approx 8 weeks full-time work) at an approved engineering place of employment.
Students are required to complete international qualifications equivalent to New Zealand NCEA Level 1 or 2 qualification. Entry requirements vary from country to country.
Applicants 20 years and over
English language requirements:
All applicants must have a level of English sufficient to be able to study at this level. Those students whose first language is not English should have:
An international English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall academic band score of at least 6.0 (with at least 5.5 in each component) issued within the last two years, or equivalent.
TOEFL Paper based test (pBT) - Score of 530 (with an essay score of 4.5 TWE)
TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) - Score of 46 (with a writing score of 20)
University of Cambridge English Examinations - FCE or FCE for schools with a score of 162. No less than 154 in each skill
Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PToE (Academic) score of 42
City & Guilds IESOL - B2 Communicator with a score of 42
To be eligible to be considered for this course, students must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Complete a numeracy, literacy and mechanical reasoning aptitude test
- Be cleared by the New Zealand Police Vetting System (or in some cases country of origin Police Vetting documentation).
In addition to the above entry requirements, international students are required to provide the following:
Attend an interview if applicant is residing in NZ or, in some cases participate in a Skype interview
Have resided in New Zealand for a minimum of six consecutive months to enable access to Woodbourne campus as mandated by New Zealand defence Force (NZDF).
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
NZ$19,900 per year.
*Fees are valid for study in 2020
About this institute
Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT), established in 1905, is today the northern South Island’s premier education provider of post-secondary school education through to postgraduate level. NMIT is a Category 1 ranked institution by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, and...
Why study at Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
- Category 1 Institute (highest New Zealand ranking)
- Over 100 years of experience in teaching students
- Applied learning connected with industry, not only will you learn from books, you will also get to practice, go on field trips and make connections with industry that can give you a better chance of opportunities and employment on graduation.
- We are located in the beautiful Nelson and Marlborough regions, famed for a fantastic quality of life.
Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
Be the first to write a review!