PhD in Civil EngineeringKaunas University of Technology
About this program
PhD in Civil Engineering
Double degree programme with the University of Bologna, Italy.
The programme aims to educate the best qualified scientists and educators of civil engineering for Kaunas University of Technology and other institutions of higher education; to prepare researchers, who are able to carry out actual problem-solving oriented research in the construction area, for the companies and administrations of construction sector.
Doctoral dissertation topics in civil engineering research are relevant in Lithuania and abroad, they are linked with research activities of Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture and Institute of Architecture and Construction. The doctoral programme corresponds to the main fields of researches: increase of the energy efficiency of buildings, designing and researches of building’s constructions, development and research of new building materials, construction technology and management. All necessary equipment and facilities for research are present in the departments. Most PhD students are accepted for part-time work in the departments or institutes during the period of their doctoral studies. During the study period, PhD students gain practical experience of research, processing and future application of their results. PhD students have an opportunity to communicate with representatives of the manufactures; consequently, they get comprehensive practical information about materials and products. Most of doctoral students of the civil engineering science carry out a part of their studies and research in foreign scientific and educational institutions.
Persons with a Master’s Degree or equivalent degree of higher education may participate in an open competition for admission to doctoral studies.
Applicants to the doctoral field of science are accepted by competition according to the competition score. Minimum Competition Score 8.0.
Additional condition: one of the submitted recommendations has to be written by the supervisor of the topic.
Mandatory documents for admission:
- Application indicating the science field, the topic and the form of funding (online)
- Official legalised Master’s diploma with the diploma supplements or a higher education degree equivalents and academic transcripts (translated into English or Lithuanian and notary verified) and the certificate of recognition if higher education qualification acquired abroad
- Curriculum Vitae
- Recommendations by two researchers of the relevant science field (one of the submitted recommendations by scientists has to be written by the supervisor of the topic)
- A research proposal on the selected topic
- A list of the research works with a full bibliographic description and copies thereof; if no research works by the applicant are presented, the applicant is required to present a research paper whose topic is consistent with the dissertation topic indicated in the applicant’s application
- A copy of the passport page with personal data, or a copy of the ID card
- A copy of the receipt of the application fee payment (40 EUR for EU citizens, and 100 EUR for non-EU citizens)
- A certificate issued by IELTS, TOEFL, CERF or any other competent institution within the last 2 years certifying the level of the English language if the candidate is not a graduate of the first or second cycle studies conducted in the English language
Does this course require proof of English proficiency
One of the mandatory admission documents is a certificate issued by IELTS, TOEFL, CERF or any other competent institution within the last 2 years certifying the level of the English language if the candidate is not a graduate of the first or second cycle studies conducted in the English language
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Energy Efficiency of Buildings
- Research Methods of Building Materials and Structure
- Sustainability Assessment of Buildings and Construction
- Academic and Technical Research Writing
- Design Thinking in Research
- Digital Support and Tools for Research Writing and Publication
- Research Data Management
- Research Ethics
- Research Project Grant Management
- Science Communication for the Public
- Systematic Literature Review
Scholarships & funding
Students admitted to state-funded places of doctoral studies receive a monthy scholarship. PhD students may receive additional funding for their scientific activies, excellent results of studies and scientific research or for participation in the international scientific conferences, seminars, and science competitions.
This program is delivered in both English and Lithuanian.
Students admitted to state-funded positions are exempted of tuition fee.
Self-funded doctoral students pay the tuition fee which may differ according the field of science.
Doctor of Science
Message the school
About this institute
Kaunas University of Technology
Established in 1922, Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) provides studies and research in all areas answering the demands of today’s ever-changing world. Ranked the 1st in Lithuania by alumni employability and student satisfaction, KTU is among the top 500 world...
Why study at Kaunas University of Technology
KTU, the main provider of research services for business and industry, one of the most active science institutions in Lithuania boasts impressive research facilities. In addition to state-of-the-art laboratories designed for studies, such as FabLab, Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab, Auto Diagnostics Lab and others, the laboratories of Santaka Valley and the Faculties equipped with the newest technology are open to student research and studies.
Kaunas University of Technology
Want to know more about PhD in Civil Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!