About this program
Master's Program in Industrial Engineering and Management
The Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM) program provides students with the essential skills and entrepreneurial mindset to create and transform technology-based businesses. The program is a unique combination of engineering, business and leadership studies that empower top-tier future leaders to create value and sustained competitive advantage for organisations. Graduating engineers from the program are prepared for challenging positions to solve the most complex business problems including crafting strategies, developing daily operations and designing future organisations.
The program can be completed entirely in English. Some courses can be taken in Finnish or Swedish.
The number of places is limited and the evaluation process is highly competitive. Applicants must demonstrate both ability and motivation for pursuing the Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering and Management. In order of significance, the criteria used for the academic evaluation are
- Previous academic performance (grades)
- Content of the previous degree(s)
- Motivation for pursuing the Master’s degree
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Businesses are increasingly shaped by technology. Therefore, the programme prepares graduates to lead and develop technology-based businesses by combining engineering, economic, and human perspectives. Industrial Engineering and Management programme graduates have:
- An integrative understanding of technology and business. Graduates understand engineering processes, technical systems and underlying technologies and how they are connected to the value creation process of businesses.
- Strong leadership and people skills. Graduates are equipped to lead and develop organisations and motivate people to realise their inherent potential.
- Practical problem-solving skills. Graduates possess applicable practical skills to solve complex business problems, for example by leveraging sophisticated data analytics.
- A can-do attitude. Graduates are confident and willing to face challenges and tackle new tasks with determination.
- An entrepreneurial mindset. Graduates are able to identify innovative opportunities for adding value for technology-based businesses.
- Broad knowledge of various organisations. Graduates are able to apply their learnings to a wide scale of technology-based businesses from early-stage startups to large multinational corporations.
- Hands-on experience. Graduates have practical experience in putting the theories into action within the context of technology-based businesses.
Upon graduation from the IEM programme, graduates have solid competence in engineering and business as well as widely applicable practical leadership and problem-solving skills.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For non-EU/EEA citizens: €15000/year
Graduates of the program will graduate with a Master of Science (Technology) degree (diplomi-insinööri in Finnish).
The program qualifies for doctoral studies (Doctor of Science in an applicable field).
Studying Industrial Engineering and Management enables several diverse career paths in organisations ranging from startups to multinational corporations, consultancies and NGOs. The program alumni have also founded numerous companies. Typically, graduates work in expert, analyst or project management roles in their first job after graduation.
The department’s close collaboration with the industry and an active alumni network helps students build relationships with companies throughout the studies. Furthermore, the student association of Industrial Engineering and Management organises networking events such as an annual seminar for students and alumni. Several companies also offer master’s thesis positions that can lead to employment after graduation.
Potential career paths for IEM graduates:
- Business and service development
- Supply chain and quality development
- Operations and project management
- Management consulting and advisory services
- Risk management
- Startup founder
Aalto University has well-established career services that assist and support you in employment in Finland and abroad. Aalto students tend to find good positions with ease upon graduation. An active entrepreneurship community is also present at Aalto, which can help as a springboard for founding your company. Finally, if an academic career is of interest, the Master’s program in Industrial Engineering is a great foundation for doctoral studies and post-doc positions.
About this institute
With a unique combination of technology, arts and business programmes, of which more than 100 are offered in English, Aalto University is an excellent study choice for international students. Around 25% of our 13,000 degree students are international, making us...
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
Aalto University's Master's Program in Industrial Engineering and Management combines strategy, operations management and leadership studies. Teachers are interested in your learning experience and in the small department hierarchy is very low. Studies often include real-life company projects and you get good connections to the Finnish work life...