Bachelors in Petroleum EngineeringVSB - Technical University of Ostrava
About this program
Bachelors in Petroleum Engineering
The "Petroleum Engineering" study program is a complex study program that includes a number of disciplines such as geology, chemistry, physics, mechanics, mechanical engineering, material engineering, IT technology, also including good language skills (primary English).
The aim of the study is to educate a qualified expert in the field of reservoir and exploitation engineering, respectively an expert for working on a drilling rig (for drilling of deep wells with heavy drilling rigs or workover drilling rigs, eventually for rigs for liquidation or re-liquidation wells). Thanks to complex knowledge of geology, technics and technology exploitation and storage of hydrocarbons, students will be able to solve operational problems of oil engineering.
In the area of hydrocarbon exploitation and underground gas storage, these include the issues of daily production of wells, the intensification of exploitation and the planning and execution of workover jobs, as well as the liquidation of wells. In the field of deep drilling, it is mainly about practical knowledge of operating individual drilling rig technologies (mud engineering, drilling rig machinery, drilling and casing strings, etc.).
Criteria for Admission
- Secondary school-leaving certificate
- English-language ability – students, who are not native speakers may be asked to demonstrate their ability to study in English, e.g. by presenting the results of any language tests they have taken. English language ability document - minimum requirements: IELTS score 5,0; TOEFL internet-based score 62 (possibly other certificates at the same level).
- Entrance examination (according to the Faculty Admission Procedure Rules and Conditions for Admission)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basics of Mathematics
- Earth Science
- English Language for Foreigners b/I
- Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Fundamentals
- Physical Education A
- English Language for Foreigners b/II
- Geological Field Practice
- Geology of Petroleum Deposits
- Mathematics I
- Physical Education B
- Technical Drafting
- Bachelor Physics
- English Language for Foreigners c/I
- Mathematics II
- Mining Legislation and Safety Regulations
- Construction of Drilling and Exploitation Equipment
- Descriptive Geometry
- Documentation and Sampling
- English Language for Foreigners c/II
- Geological Excursion
- Safety at Work and Fire Protection
- Informatics and Bibliography
- Methods of Exploration Techniques
- Micropaleontology in Petroleum Industry
- Surface deposit mining
- Bachelor thesis seminar
- Drilling Machines and Mechanisms
- Petroleum Engineering I
- Practical Training in Drilling
- Underground Mining of Deposits
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fee: 50 000 CZK per semester, approx. 4000 EUR per academic year
Graduates of the bachelor study program "Petroleum Engineering" will be able to:
- Solve practical operational problems of reservoir engineering at the level of middle technician (necessary wide geological basis of study)
- Operate exploitation wells and plan their exploitation regime
- Operate wells in UGS, including supervision of planned workover jobs and their liquidation;
- Ensure the dispatching operation of hydrocarbon exploitation, respectively ensure shift control operation of UGS
- Interpret various types of static and dynamic models of hydrocarbons deposits based on theoretical knowledge of oil deposits modeling
- Master shift operations on drilling rigs (heavy drilling rigs, workover drilling rigs)
- Master the basic level of the Well Control test (organized by the International Well Control Forum) required for daily practice in the oil industry.
The level of knowledge after the completion of this bachelor's study program represents sufficient and high-quality professional equipment for intermediate technicians in the position of reservoir operator / operational technician, or technology in the middle positions of all types of drilling operations.
After completing this bachelor's degree program, graduates will have mainly the practical knowledge necessary to manage daily (normal operational) problems. In the field of hydrocarbon exploitation, it is mainly the knowledge of daily wells, normal dispatching operations or planning workover operations. In the field of drilling, it is the knowledge of intermediate drilling technicians in the field of mud engineering, pressure manifestations or standard daily drilling activities
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Want to know more about Bachelors in Petroleum Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!