Bachelors in Biomedical Assistive Technology
Assistive technologies are complex technical solutions that make life easier for people with special needs, higher demands on nursing care and seniors, with the aim of achieving the utmost autonomy in their everyday lives. Therefore, the program combines knowledge and skills in the field of electrical engineering, medical technology, telemedicine, informatics and telecommunications. There are also prerequisites for social care, psychology and nursing. It is a unique combination of technical skills to make life easier for disabled people.
Criteria for Admission
- Secondary school-leaving certificate
- English-language ability – students, who are not native speakers may be asked to demonstrate their ability to study in English, e.g. by presenting the results of any language tests they have taken. English language ability document - minimum requirements: IELTS score 5,0; TOEFL internet-based score 62 (possibly other certificates at the same level).
- Entrance examination (according to the Faculty Admission Procedure Rules and Conditions for Admission)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Circuit Theory I
- English Language b/I for FEI - intermediate (BTE)
- Introduction to Communication Technologies
- Introduction to Programming
- Mathematical Analysis 1
- Physical Education A
- Principles of Physics
- Safety in Electrical Engineering
- Transducers and Sensors in Biomedicine
- Algorithms I
- Basics of Anatomy and Nursing
- Electrical Measurements
- English Language b/II for FEI - intermediate (BTE)
- Introduction to Assistive Technologies
- Linear Algebra
- Physical Education B
- Communication Networks I
- Electronic Instruments Technology
- English Language b/III for FEI - intermediate (BTE)
- Mathematical Analysis 2
- Medical Instrumentation 1
- Physical Principles in ICT
- Rehabilitation Devices and Compensatory Aids
- The Basics of Psychology and Psychopathology
- English Language b/IV for FEI - intermediate (BTE)
- Medical Instrumentation 2
- Signals and Systems
- The Basics of Working with a Client in Social Services
- Virtual Bioinstrumentation
- Bachelor Seminar Work 1
- Database Systems I
- Devices for Assistive Technologies
- Fundamentals of the Security in Communications
- Bachelor Seminar Work 2
- Off-Grid Energy Systems
- Signal Processing in eHealth
- Wireless Sensor Networks
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Tuition fee: 3500 € per academic year
Graduate of the study program will work in the field of technical administration, implementation and partly development of assistive technologies applied both in the institutional environment providing social care and social care providers directly to the client in his / her natural environment.
Professional skills include:
- Application of existing assistive technologies, sensors and actuators.
- Managing and implementing software components to integrate specific hardware components of complex assistive technology systems.
- Creation of specifications and implementation of complex solutions for assistive technologies in different application areas of these systems.
- Testing, maintaining, assessing the safety, security, and reliability of applied assay technologies, both individually and in system assemblies.
- Plan and implement a smart, smart home environment using the latest state-of-the-art tools
- Integration and testing of systems that were previously run separately in an intelligent home environment, taking into account current standards, guidelines and legal and ethical aspects
- Creation, application and management of information technology resources in the area of social care in order to increase the quality of care, its systematization, organization and economic efficiency.
Graduates of the study program have knowledge in the fields of assistive technologies, smart home care systems, remote controlled rehabilitation and nursing care. They know the application area, so they are able to adapt technical solutions to the requirements of consumers of these services. They are able to implement solutions in the field of electronics and information and communication technologies in direct contact with their users and thus can work in a wide range of professional disciplines. They find employment in the electronics and electronics industry, in information and communication technologies, and in health and social services.
Job positions are expected
- Managing and servicing applied assistive technologies in an institutional environment or in smart homes
- Supervisor staff of remote (home) care providers
- Application technician in assistive technology
- Device developer in assistive technology
- Developer of assistive technology applications
- Application technology for smart home systems
- System integration of smart home
- Administrator of supporting IT systems for systematization of social services
- Analyst of systematization of social services using information technology.
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about Bachelors in Biomedical Assistive Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!