Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics (BEng)University of Southampton
About this program
Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics (BEng)
Learn to design future aircraft, race cars, satellites and rockets, and take your engineering passion to new heights. Our astronautics and aeronautics undergraduate degree covers many aspects of aerospace engineering. You'll learn how to design and manufacture fast-moving aircraft in the Earth’s atmosphere and outer space.
Aeronautics and astronautics BEng looks at the science, engineering and manufacture of aircraft and spacecraft. You'll learn how they operate within our atmosphere and in space.
You'll study the principles of aerospace engineering including aerodynamics and propulsion. You'll also explore the economic, legal and environmental issues around aircraft and spacecraft. You'll have access to our extensive facilities, which include:
- dedicated student design studios and workshops
- the largest wind tunnel in any UK university
- state-of-the-art jet engine and space propulsion facilities
- flight simulator
- professional manufacturing centre
As part of this astronautics and aeronautics BEng degree you can:
- showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
- attend site visits to experience engineering in practice
- take a work placement during the summer holidays
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement.
This course is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) as meeting the academic requirement, in part, for Chartered Engineer registration.
A*AA including grades A*A in mathematics and physics (in any order), with a pass in the physics Practical
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 38 points overall with 18 points required at Higher Level, including 6 at Higher Level in Physics and 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches or 7 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation
- D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A*A in A-level mathematics and physics (in any order) with a pass in the physics Practical
- We do not accept the BTEC Extended Diploma without additional A-levels
- We do not accept the BTEC Diploma without additional A-levels
- Applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma or the BTEC Diploma should apply for the Engineering/Physics/Mathematics/Geophysics Foundation Year
BTEC additional information
There are no additional requirements
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Design and Computing
- Electrical and Electronics Systems
- Introduction to Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Mathematics for Engineering and the Environment
- Mechanics, Structures and Materials
- Engineering Management and Law
- Materials and Structures
- Mathematics for Engineering and the Environment Part II
- Mechanics of Flight
- Systems Design and Computing
- Aerospace Control Design
- Aircraft Structural Design
- Individual Project
- Introduction to Aircraft Design
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Accounting and Finance for Engineers
- Applications of CFD
- Finite Element Analysis in Solid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer and Applications
- Industrial Law
- Management Science for Engineers
- Wing Aerodynamics
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £23,720
- Final award: Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (BEng (Hons))
- Name of award: Aeronautics & Astronautics
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Science (Ordinary)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
This degree will open the door to jobs for aerospace engineers and many other exciting career opportunities in the space industry, engineering and beyond, including:
- aerospace engineer
- IT and management consultant
- race car designer
- software and systems engineer
Message the school
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
University of Southampton
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics (BEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!