MSc Environmental Geology and ContaminationUniversity of Portsmouth
About this program
MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination
Many countries have a significant legacy of contaminants in the ground, caused by industrial and mining activity. These pollutants can pose a significant risk to human health and the environment, so a particular expertise is needed to deal with these contaminated sites.
If you're keen to tackle this important issue, take your studies to postgraduate level, and learn specialist skills, our MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll get the knowledge and skills needed to manage contaminated sites, and learn the importance of maintaining safe, habitable, and sustainable communities. You’ll cover topics including groundwater hydrology; geochemistry; site investigation; geotechnics, and contaminated land assessment, and be taught by recognised experts with extensive expertise in these subjects.
You'll also get theoretical skills as well as practical experience, and we'll give you the support you need to develop your career too – so once you graduate, you can pursue varied roles in the specialist area of contaminated land consultancy, regulation and remediation, both in the UK and overseas.
Qualifications or experience
- A 2:2 honours degree in an Earth Science, Civil Engineering, Chemistry or Environmental Science discipline. Relevant industrial and work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core modules include:
- Contaminated Land Assessment & Remediation
- Principles and Analysis of Pollution with Metals
- Research Skills and Project
Optional modules include:
- Ecotoxicology and pollution
- Environmental Assessment
- Geological and Environmental Hazards
- Geotechnics and Groundwater
- Ground Models and Ground Investigation
- Principles of GIScience
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £9,200
- Part time: £4,600
- Full time: £17,600
- Part time:
- Year 1: £8,800
- Year 2: £3,800
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from recognised experts in the field, with extensive knowledge of groundwater hydrology, environmental geology and contaminated land management
- Use our geotechnical and analytical labs, gaining practical experience in use of range of soil and environmental testing facilities.
- Be trained in fieldwork techniques such as walk-over surveys, sample collection and testing, use of GIS and interpretation of remote sensing
- Learn about risk assessments approaches for contaminated land and water.
- Complete a professional research project, in collaboration with industry partners
This course will provide you with a variety of transferable skills such as project planning, literature and data reviewing and report writing, along with general communication and presentation skills. This course also has strong research skills training, advanced analytical components and an extensive research project, ideal if you wish to pursue further research at PhD level.
Environmental geology and contaminated land are key areas in which the UK has a skills shortage; students on this course receive extensive training so that when they graduate they are able to fill this skills gap.
Combined with the vocational nature of this course, our graduates are quickly employed in the industry, where there is a huge demand for environmental and contaminated land specialists.
What can you do with an Environmental Geology and Contamination degree?
Career opportunities include:
- Environmental organisations
- Geotechnical consultants
- Local authorities and government agencies
- Geo-environmental consultants
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
University of Portsmouth
Want to know more about MSc Environmental Geology and Contamination? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!