BSc (Hons) GeologyUniversity of Portsmouth
About this program
BSc (Hons) Geology
Could you develop the skills needed to tackle climate change, understand global catastrophes and solve declining energy sources while understanding how the earth is formed?
On this professionally accredited BSc (Hons) Geology degree course, you’ll examine the complex formation of our planet and how it has changed through time. You’ll study rocks, minerals and fossils as well as geological map work. You'll spend plenty of time out of the classroom in the field using the latest techniques.
With the skills to become a professional geologist, you’ll be set for a career in areas such as mining, the petroleum industry, geotechnical engineering and teaching.
- A levels – ABB–BBC
- UCAS points – 112–128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent, with 72 points from 2 Science subjects (Applied Science, Archaeology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science/Studies, Geography, Geology, Mathematics or Physics) (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM–DMM
- International Baccalaureate – 28
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Engineering Geology and Geohazards
- How the Earth Works
- Mineralogy and Petrology
- Quantitative Methods
- Science for Earth Systems
- Sedimentology and Palaeontology
- Advanced Geological Field Techniques
- Professional Skills for Geoscientists
- Sedimentary Processes and Facies Analysis
- Spatial Data Analysis
- Structural Geology
- Geology Project
- Analytical Methods for Earth Sciences
- Applied Sedimentology and Petroleum Geology
- Introduction to Teaching
- Mineral Resources & Exploration
- Oceans, Climates and Environments
- Quarternary Geology & Geomorphology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- For UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
- For International students: £17,600 per year
With this degree you could go on to work in the extractive minerals industry, mining, oil and gas sectors, geological engineering or do further study at Master's or PhD level. You'll also have transferable communication and IT skills suitable for a career in business, commerce or education.
What can you do with a Geology degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- mining geologist
- well-site geologist
- geotechnical engineer
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
University of Portsmouth
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Geology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!