BEng (Hons) Mechanical EngineeringUniversity of Portsmouth
About this program
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Recent years have seen huge advances in technology for transport, healthcare and robotics. If you enjoy getting stuck into technology projects and love finding practical solutions to problems, this BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree course is the perfect choice for you.
To meet the challenges of the engineering world, you'll study the design, development, manufacture, installation, operation and maintenance of engineered products. You'll get to specialise in advanced subjects such as sustainable development and computer-aided engineering and have the option to get involved in UP Racing - the University's Formula Student team.
- A levels – ABB–BBC
- UCAS points – 112–128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent, with 32 points from Mathematics, plus a relevant subject (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM–DMM
- International Baccalaureate – 26
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Introduction to Design
- Introduction to Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
- Introduction to Materials and Manufacture
- Introduction to Solid Mechanics and Dynamics
- Mathematical Principles
- Computer Aided Engineering and Product Manufacture
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- Solid Mechanics And Dynamics
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics.
- Optional modules
- Control Engineering
- Engineering Programming
- Modern Foreign Language (IWLP).
- Advanced Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
- Finite Element Analysis in Solid Mechanics
- Individual Project
- Sustainable Development And Environmental Management
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £17,600 per year
On this course you'll:
- Learn about the underlying elements of successful engineering and manufacturing projects, including solid mechanics and dynamics, and engineering design
- Use our CAD and rapid prototyping suites, energy systems lab, stress analysis lab, and metrology and 3D scanning microscopy facilities
- Get the chance to be involved in Formula Student, where you'll design, construct and test a competitive race car with fellow students
- Put your skills to the test by building your own products in our manufacturing workshops
- Have to option to expand your learning and meet potential employers by working on an industrial project
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level and set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
There's currently a shortage of talented engineers in the UK and abroad, so there will be many opportunities open to you when you graduate.
What can you do with a Mechanical Engineering degree?
Previous graduates have gone on to work in areas including:
- research and development
- product manufacture
- project management
What jobs can you do with a Mechanical Engineering degree?
Graduates from this course have gone on to work as:
- mechanical engineer
- product design engineer
- aerospace engineer
- application engineer
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
University of Portsmouth
Want to know more about BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!