About this program
BEng Engineering Geology and Geotechnics
Take your first step towards becoming a professional Chartered Engineering Geologist or Chartered Geotechnical Engineer on this BEng (Hons) Engineering Geology and Geotechnics degree course.
You’ll learn the fundamentals of geological science and develop the technical expertise to work on the design and construction of tunnels, roads, dams, and surface and underground mine excavations.
Taking this course makes you eligible for the Engineering Geology and Geotechnics Industrial Bursary Scheme. If you're accepted onto this scheme, you'll get a bursary of £1,750 in years 1, 2 and 4, and do a 44-week paid work placement after year 2 and an 8-week paid work placement after year 1 (see below for more details).
Graduates from this course have high levels of employability, and play a key role across many sectors, including construction, mining and quarrying, and offshore and onshore renewable energy. The knowledge, technical skills and and confidence you'll develop on this course, which includes the option of a year working in industry, will open doors to excellent career prospects and opportunities to work for consultants and contractors across the globe.
- A levels – ABB–BBC
- UCAS points – 112–128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent, in Science subjects (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science/Studies, Geography, Geology or relevant Technology subject) (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM–DMM
- International Baccalaureate – 25–26
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In your first year, you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the geological sciences, as well as focusing on engineering mathematics and materials. You'll also develop key field skills on a number of field trips.
Core modules in this year include:
- Engineering Geology and Geohazards
- How the Earth Works
- Mathematical Principles
- Mineralogy and Petrology
- Sedimentology and Palaeontology
- Soils and Materials 1
In year 2, you'll specialise in the more applied areas of the subject and do fieldwork, which is a vital component of this geoscience degree.
Core modules in this year include:
- Geoenvironmental Risk Management
- GIS and Remote Sensing
- Ground Investigation
- Professional Skills for Geoscientists
- Soils and Materials 2
- Structural Geology
Placement year (optional)
On this course, you can do an optional work placement year between your 2nd and 3rd years to get valuable experience working in industry.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your situation and ambitions. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
In your final year, you'll complete an independent project where you can decide the geological and engineering based topic, collect samples, carry out lab tests and report on your findings.
Core modules in this year include:
- Contaminated Land
- Engineering Geology and Geotechnics Project
- Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology
- Rock Engineering
- Soils and Materials 3
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- For UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
- For International students: £17,600 per year
On this course, you'll:
- Learn at a University where geology and geotechnics have been taught for more than 50 years
- Have the opportunity to apply for the Engineering Geology and Geotechnics Industrial Bursary Scheme, which if granted gives you a bursary during academic study years, and access to valuable paid work placements
- Develop fundamental knowledge of geological science, engineering, mathematics and materials
- Develop knowledge, practical skills and techniques that you will use throughout your career
- Get out of the classroom to put what you learn into practice, collecting samples and analysing results
- Have the opportunity to go on field trips to locations such as the Isle of Wight, Dorset, Norfolk, the Cotswolds, north Scotland, the French Alps
- Get the chance to take an optional paid placement year in the UK or overseas
- You'll also get access to the University's XRF, gamma spectrometry, crystal growth, low temperature physics, geochemistry and palaeontology labs
This degree offers a fast track towards a career as a professional Chartered Engineering Geologist or Chartered Geotechnical Engineer when you do additional training. After you complete the course, you'll be in high demand on engineering projects in global locations such as Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Canada and Hong Kong as well as in the UK.
What can you do with an Engineering Geology and Geotechnics degree?
Recent graduates have been involved with:
- major site investigations for international projects
- investigation and stabilisation of old mine workings
- coastal engineering
- flood alleviation projects
- dam site investigation and design
- major tunnelling projects in the UK and overseas
- development of deep mines in South Africa and Australia
- What jobs can you do with an Engineering Geology and Geotechnics degree?
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- graduate engineering geologist
- graduate tunnelling engineer
- graduate geotechnical engineer
- graduate mining geotechnical engineer
- graduate foundation engineer
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about BEng Engineering Geology and Geotechnics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!