About this program
Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical engineering integrates engineering principles and design concepts with medical and biological sciences to advance healthcare treatment. Biomedical engineers are integral in the development and innovation of equipment, devices and computer systems, and software in the healthcare field while closing the gap between engineering and medicine.
The University of Mount Union’s biomedical engineering major is designed to foster an innovative mindset while offering the crucial knowledge to successfully impact this rewarding and high-growth field. Our biomedical engineering faculty at Mount Union is an outstanding group with expertise in the fields that make up biomedical engineering such as:
- Clinical Engineering
- Rehabilitation engineering
- Systems Physiology
The biomedical engineering major is housed in the School of Engineering along with the two successful, ABET accredited programs in mechanical engineering and civil engineering.
GPA requirement: 2.5 (except for nursing, that requirement is a 3.3)
English proficiency (one of the following):
- TOEFL: 61 iBT
- IELTS: 5.5
- PTE: 55
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Taught by our outstanding engineering faculty, with expertise in the many fields that make up biomedical engineering, you will start your college career with general education courses in chemistry, physics, calculus, and an overall view of the engineering profession as well as analysis and design. Throughout your years at Mount Union, you will engage in our dynamic curriculum that is strongly focused on real-world application. You will gain hands-on experience through a required international experience in the field as well as through the engineering capstone design course.
Scholarships & funding
A Mount Union education is accessible to students of all backgrounds thanks to the university's robust scholarship and grant offerings. There are several state and federal options available to assist you, as well as many Mount Union awards that are specific to your career at the university. For more information, please visit the Mount Union website.
Upon completion of this program, students will graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree.
At the time of graduation, biomedical engineering students will have achieved the following program outcomes:
- Principles: An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Design: An ability to apply the engineering design process to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration for public health and safety and global, cultural, social, environmental, economic, and other factors as appropriate to the discipline.
- Experimentation: An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Communication: An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Responsibility: An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- Learning: An ability to recognize the ongoing need to acquire new knowledge, to choose appropriate learning strategies, and to apply this knowledge.
- Teamwork: An ability to function effectively as a member or leader of a team that establishes goals, plans tasks, meets deadlines, and creates a collaborative and inclusive environment.
- Foundations: Knowledge of the foundations of engineering, science, and mathematics and their applications in computer engineering.
According to Bureau of Labor statistics, there is estimated to be 22,800 jobs by 2026. The average median salary in 2017 was $88,040. Biomedical engineering is a field of engineering likely to see increased demand because of increasing technological advances and applications that are being applied to medical equipment and devices.
The aging generation of active baby boomers will also increase the demand for biomedical procedures and devices. As society becomes for aware of the advances that are being made in the biomedical industry, increasing numbers will seek out these solutions from their healthcare providers.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Mount Union
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers rigorous and relevant academic programs that are grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s students can select from broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors. Known for its...
Why study at University of Mount Union
Mount Union is a small institution. We are proud to offer small class sizes, all taught by professors. More than 80% of our faculty have terminal degrees in their fields of study. This gives our students a chance to research and learn alongside our talented faculty in their academic fields. We are proud that 98% of our students find jobs in less than 3 months after graduating with their Mount Union degree!
Want to know more about Bachelor in Biomedical Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!