University of Latvia
The University of Latvia (UL) offers European-level higher education and skills necessary for the labor market, scientific research, and self-development. The quality of studies, research, international collaboration, and innovations ranked the UL among 4% of the world’s best universities. The UL ensures highly qualified local and professional academic staff, assistance for visa/residence permit application, student mentors (buddies) for international students, student hostels, a wide choice of leisure and sports activities, and more.
The University of Latvia has been founded in 1919 and currently, with its more than 15,000 students, 13 faculties, and over 20 research institutes and independent study centers, is one of the largest comprehensive and leading research universities in the Baltics. The University offers more than 130 state-accredited academic and professional study programs.
At the University of Latvia, research is conducted in over 50 research fields which represent four main areas of inquiry: the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. The University of Latvia pays great attention to the development of international collaboration.
The University of Latvia devotes great attention to the development of international collaboration to promote its identity internationally and to strengthen the reputation of the University worldwide. To date, the University of Latvia has signed 136 bilateral agreements worldwide and more than 700 agreements with 368 institutions in 32 European countries within the ERASMUS+ program. Both incoming and outgoing exchange students use one of the available student mobility agreements: ERASMUS+, ERASMUS MUNDUS (Aurora, AESOP, LEADER), CAMPUS EUROPE, ISEP, bilateral agreements, and agreements between countries.
Find out more about University of Latvia by filling in your details and the school will contact you.
Scholarships & funding
University of Latvia Foundation administers a number of Patron scholarships open to
outstanding students and researchers or those with limited resources. The information
about Patron scholarships open to EU citizens and third country nationals is available
Scholarship for undergraduates, graduates and students of professional programmes
Application for scholarship must be submitted in the electronic system of the ULLUIS within 10 days from the beginning of registration week of the respectivesemester according to the calender of academic year. The documents confirming student's eligibility for the scholarship must be submitted to the secretary of the faculty.
Latvian state scholarships:
In accordance with bilateral agreements on co-operation in education and science concluded between Latvian government and a few countries Latvia offers scholarships to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff for studies, research and participation in summer schools in Latvian higher education institutions (HEIs) in the 2021/2022 academic year. The Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia has delegated the administration of the Latvian state scholarships to the State Education Development Agency (Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra – VIAA).
Why study at University of Latvia
10 reasons to study at the UL:
- Financial support to best students
- Wide range of international exchange programmes to world’s top universities
- Comprehensive and high-quality study programmes in fields of Humanities, Social and Natural sciences
- Worldwide recognized Diploma
- Modern study environment
- Internship opportunities in Latvia and abroad
- Inspiring academic and supportive administrative staff
- Opportunity to create and start your own business during studies at the Student Business Incubator
- Excellent leisure facilities and interesting student life
- Affordable and guaranteed place in student dormitories
Awards & Accreditations
QS World Top University Rankings
Graduate Employability Ranking
EECA University Rankings
#801 - 1000
The World University Rankings
Student services & facilities
- Students can approach our career center for guidance when looking for traineeships.
- Student Business Incubator is a place where students can come with their business ideas and develop them into a competitive company. Participation is free of charge. Students get additional seminars in entrepreneurship and on the legal system, and guest lectures from our partners. A competition is held annually where the authors of the best business ideas receive grants for their future development.
The University of Latvia offers various extracurricular activities. We have our own Sports center where students can train for individual sports or join our teams. We have several intercultural institutes, dance groups, student theatre and choirs.
Student hostel "Prima":
Available types of rooms:
- Triple - 100 EUR per month
- Double - 150 EUR per month
- Single - 270 EUR per month
Want to get more information about this institute and its programs? Fill out the following form and we'll pass it on directly to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!