Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems (DENSYS)Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems (DENSYS)
All available course dates
About this program
Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems (DENSYS)
The Erasmus Mundus master’s degree in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems (DENSYS), within its area of specialisation Thermal Energy Engineering, is conceived as a response to problems and needs in the field of thermal energy engineering from areas of work such as energy systems and resources, heat and mass transfer and fluid dynamics, numerical and experimental methods in thermal engineering, the design of thermal systems and equipment, heaters and coolers, etc. The ultimate aim is to produce scientific and technical experts with the necessary knowledge and skills to analyse any engineering problem in the field of thermal energy and fluid dynamics.
- An official Spanish university qualification or an official university qualification issued by a university in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that qualifies the holder for admission to a master's degree.
- A qualification issued by a university in a country that is not in the EHEA. If the qualification has not been homologated, the UPC will verify that the course of study corresponds to a level of education equivalent to an official Spanish university degree and that the qualification obtained would provide admission to a master’s degree in the country in which it was awarded. This access route in no way implies the homologation of the qualification or its recognition for any purpose other than admission to the master's degree. The master's degree will, however, be fully and legally valid.
In addition to these general access requirements, which apply to all master's degree courses, specific admission requirements may be set for each programme.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
1st and 2nd semester
At Université de Lorraine, Nancy and more pricesely at the Faculty of Science and Technology: Students will receive a strong multiphysics oriented engineering education and the required basis of the key technologies of decentralized energy system, i.e. the vertical bar of the T-shaped profile, which corresponds to 42 ECTS and include the case and challenge based modules for the first year. This will optimally prepare the students to follow the specialization track where their knowledge will be deepened.
Three specialization tracks will be offered to the students:
- Track 1: Decentralized energy systems in a global energy system (KTH, Stockholm)
- Track 2: Thermal Energy Engineering (UPC, Barcelona)
- Track 3: Energy-to-X: innovative pathways for energy storage (PoliTo, Turin)
The architecture of the three specialization tracks is built jointly and in a fairly similar way for the three universities where the 3rd semester will take place: specialized engineering oriented courses (60% of the total of 30 ECTS for KTH and PoliTo and 65% for UPC including the follow-up of the challenge based module), mandatory breadth courses (20 % for KTH and PoliTo and 16% for UPC), elective courses (20 % for KTH and PoliTo and 19% for UPC).
Master thesis/Internship: the 4th semester is devoted to an internship/master thesis, which can be either in industry or a research laboratory within the consortium partners and associated partners, or in a third party.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Total fees (per year):
- EU students: €4,500
- Non-EU students: €9,000
120 ECTS credits
- To identify and describe the components of a range of thermal systems and equipment and assess technological solutions in the field of thermal engineering.
- To analyse the behaviour of thermal systems and equipment to improve their energy efficiency.
At the end of the programme, the student will be awarded two diplomas:
Master Energie parcours “Decentralised Smart Energy System”, Université de Lorraine, France and one of the following degree depending on the specialisation track selected for the 3rd semester:
- Master of Science (Teknologie Masterexamen), KTH, Sweden
- MSc in Energy and Nuclear Engineering (Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Energetica e Nucleare), PoliTo, Italy
- Erasmus Mundus Master in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems, with Thermal Energy Engineering Specialization, UPC, Spain
For more information, please visit the university website.
Although the DENSYS master’s degree is oriented towards research, professional opportunities for its graduates are wide-ranging. Graduates may carry out, coordinate and manage basic and applied research, development and innovation in professional sectors such as the following:
- Research, development and innovation departments of companies that operate in the aforementioned areas of work.
- Universities, technology centres and research centres that operate in the aforementioned areas of work.
- Manufacturers of thermal systems and equipment for air conditioning, ventilation and cooling; heat exchangers and accumulators; low- and medium-temperature solar energy collectors; boilers; turbines; etc. Manufacturers of thermal fluid equipment for the aeronautical and aerospace sector.
- Companies in the renewable energy sector: high-temperature solar concentrators, wind turbines and blades, buoy structures, etc.
- Engineering sectors with significant know-how in activities or projects in which the thermal and fluid dynamics field plays a role.
Message the school
About this institute
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
The Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech is a public institution of Higher Education and Research, specialised in the areas of Architecture, Engineering, Science and Technology. The UPC offers 66 bachelor’s degrees, 81 master’s programs (34 of them fully in...
Why study at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
The Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya is a prestigious and well-known institution of Higher Education, nationally and internationally.
In order to develop its international policy, the UPC is member to 16 networks of universities of excellence, each of which has different objectives. These networks dedicate their efforts to work jointly with prestigious institutions to obtain results, provide visibility and lead our interests and strategies to position us at the highest level.
UPC has 2.717 students in international mobility programs, 1.541 exchange agreements with 708 HEIs and 50 DD agreements with 32 universities. Every year, more than 6,000 bachelor’s and master’s students and more than 500 doctoral students graduate. The UPC has a high graduate employment rate: 93% of its graduates are in work and 76% find a job in under three months.
The UPC has different top facilities and labs where to develop research projects, which have helped UPC become a benchmark university in Europe in innovation and technology transfer. In collaboration with other public and private institutions, UPC has created research centers with its own legal entity, internationally recognized, such as the Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), the International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE), the Institute of Spatial Studies of Catalunya (IEEC) or the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC).
Want to know more about Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Decentralised Smart Energy Systems (DENSYS)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!