Master's Degree in Molecular Biotechnology
The master's degree in Molecular Biotechnology is the ideal program for students who want to build a solid foundation of operational knowledge, techniques and methods in the area of biotechnology.
It is aimed at holders of official bachelor's degrees or equivalent undergraduate degrees and professionals in the areas of biomedicine, industry, pharmaceuticals, fisheries, food and the environment, as well as anyone with an interest in basic aspects of biotechnology, such as its processes and products.
It provides students with the training to access third-cycle studies in the area of biotechnology or other doctoral programs in related areas, or to obtain employment in the field of biotechnology.
It is an interdisciplinary master's degree that is organized by various departments of the UB faculties of Biology, Pharmacy and Chemistry (in which it is taught). It has served as the basis for implementing the Erasmus Mundus Master in Biohealth Computing.
The languages of instruction for this program are English (50%) and Catalan (50%).
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The overall aim of the master's degree in Molecular Biotechnology is to train professionals in applied biotechnology, in other words, to train specialists who can use a wide range of technical resources to design and improve bioprocesses. This aim is met through the detailed learning objectives listed below:
- Acquire a strong foundation of conceptual and methodological training (valid for holders of bachelor's degrees and equivalent undergraduate degrees, as well as for professionals interested in basic aspects of biotechnology, such as its processes and products).
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of the processes involved in product research and development, based on the selective and programd modification of cellular and biomolecular processes.
- Learn how to identify problems, seek practical and creative solutions, and use them in future professional or research practice.
- Learn management methods and techniques for research and companies.
- Understand legislation on handling biotechnology and biohealth products with respect to patents and biosafety.
- Acquire a sound foundation that can be used to start a research career or to work in the biotechnology and biohealth field.
This master's degree is closely related to other national and international master's degrees and doctoral programs that are focused on applying the principles of biotechnology in the following areas: agrifood, bioprocesses, chemical engineering, agrobiotechnology, biochemical engineering, biotechnology of microorganisms and animal cells, food biotechnology, environmental biotechnology and renewable energies, biotechnology of natural and pharmaceutical products, and marine biotechnology.
Therefore, the main professional opportunities are as follows:
- Academic, research and professional careers in universities, institutes or research centres.
- Positions in research, development and innovation departments and in the bioprocess plants of companies in different sectors (agriculture, food, environmental, pharmaceutical, bioenergy and marine) that are totally or partially based on biotechnology.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!