Master's Degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Engineering
The University of Barcelona has created a new Master's Degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Engineering. This master's degree has been introduced in coordination with the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT-Health), in the framework of the European Union, and as part of the Research and Innovation Program (Horizon 2020). It forms part of the Master Technological Innovation in Health (MTiH) program offered by EIT-Health.
The main aim of this master's degree is to train a new generation of technologists who can transform biomedical innovations into feasible business solutions. The master's degree helps students to develop in-depth knowledge of technologies used in the health sector; the capacity to understand clinical, social and economic aspects; and a broad understanding of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit in the medical technology sector. It is designed to foster technological innovation in the health sector, and to promote business initiatives.
The Master's Degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Engineering is directed at two main types of students, in line with study programs in the European Higher Education Area: students with a Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Engineering; and students with other bachelor's degrees, preferably in technical or scientific fields.
The master's degree is taught jointly and entirely in English in the faculties of Medicine and Health Sciences, Economics and Business Studies, and Physics.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The main aim of this master's degree is to train a new generation of technologists who will have in-depth knowledge of the technologies used in the health sector and the capacity to understand the clinical, social and economic implications of these technologies, as well as innovation and business spirit.
Graduates will be able to transform health problems into research challenges, and to generate innovative ideas and strategies with an entrepreneurial vision.
The master's degree could lead to career opportunities in three main areas:
- As innovation is considered the basis of growth, competitiveness and social well-being, social challenges in the health sector provide many new opportunities for the medical technology business sector. Graduates of the master's degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Engineering may have career opportunities in the research, development and innovation departments of medical technology companies and technology-based health service providers, and in the creation of new companies.
- Hospital centres are places where the most advanced technologies in health systems are implemented. Advances in modern medicine are generally based on the incorporation of leading technology, to promote innovative approaches in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases. The emergence of new healthcare strategies (personalized medicine, telemedicine for home care, expert monitoring systems, etc.) also requires the involvement of experts in biomedical technologies, to provide innovative solutions to health problems.
- R&D and innovation
- Although the European Union has an excellent level of research, the transfer of research results to the business world is still very limited. To increase the efficiency of technology transfer in the health sector, professionals are required who have innovative, business capacities to transfer scientific and technological research results to the business sector. Graduates in the master's degree in Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Biomedical Engineering are agents will have the skills to work alongside research groups in hospitals, universities and research centres, and to draw up business solutions based on innovative ideas and technologies that can be transferred to the market.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!