New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Crewing (Level 4) with Strands in Deck Crew, Electro-technology, and EngineeringManukau Institute of Technology
About this program
Develop the skills to start your career in this vital global industry.
Get basic maritime knowledge and skills and become familiar with shipping operations, shipboard practice and survival at sea.
You will be prepared for an interesting career in an international industry which has solid demand for well-trained and motivated people. You may find yourself working on a wide range of foreign going ships from cruise liners, ferries and container vessels through to support vessels in the oil and gas industry.
The strands in this certificate combined with sea time form the first year of our three Diploma's (Nautical Science, Marine Engineering and Marine Electro-Technology (Level 6). It is expected that you will continue on to one of these Diploma's.
The New Zealand Maritime School is currently the only New Zealand provider of this programme.
- New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Operations (Level 4) with strands in Fishing and Watch keeping
- New Zealand Diploma in Nautical Science (Level 6)
- New Zealand Diploma in Marine Engineering (Level 6)
- New Zealand Certificate in Maritime Operations (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Marine Electro technology (Level 6)
Graduates may also move to electro-technical jobs on-shore but may need to complete a New Zealand Certificate or Diploma in Electrical or Electronic Engineering to meet the registration requirements of the Electrical Workers Registration Board.
New Zealand registered electrical or electronic technicians who wish to go to sea as an Electro-technical Officer will need to complete this qualification or New Zealand Diploma in Marine Electro technology (Level 6).
- STCW Basic Safety training – Basic Sea Survival
- STCW Basic Safety Training – Basic Fire Fighting
- STCW Basic Safety Training – Basic First Aid
- STCW Basic Safety training – Personal safety and Social Responsibility
- Proficiency in Security Awareness
Able Seafarer Rating Strand
- Vessel Operations and Maintenance
- Assist Bridge Watchkeeping
- Cargo Operations and Storing
- Assist Deck Watchkeeping
- Proficiency in Survival Craft (PISC)
Electro Technology Rating Strand
- Shipboard Maintenance and Repair Procedures – Electrotech
- Electrical Maintenance and Repair Procedures
- Safe Use of Electrical Equipment
- Monitoring and operation of shipboard electrical systems and machinery
- Electrical and Electronic Measuring Equipment, Basic Electrical Fault Finding
Able Seafarer Engine Strand
- Introduction to Engineering Watchkeeping
- Main & Auxiliary Machinery Systems Electrical Equipment
- Marine Dangerous Goods
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
About this institute
As an international student there are a lot of factors in choosing where you study and with who. You need confidence that your qualification will set you up for a good job when you graduate. You also want trust and...
Be the first to write a review!