Motive Power Technician - Service and ManagementLoyalist College
Motive Power Technician - Service and Management
All available course dates
About this program
Motive Power Technician - Service and Management
Train for a career in the fast-paced and ever-changing automotive field with expertise that can be applied to motive power trades such as heavy equipment, small engine, marine, power sport, truck and coach and agricultural technician.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent OR
- Mature applicant
Recommended academic preparation
- Grade 12 Math
Is it for you?
You love cars. But do you want to do this for a living? People who succeed in this program:
- Have often grown up taking things apart and putting them back together
- Enjoy troubleshooting and solving problems
- Have a good background in math
- Like to know how things work
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year - Semester One
- Applied Work Practices 1
- Computer Skills
- Electrical, Electronics, and Fuel Basics
- Engine Systems 1
- Interpersonal Skills
- Trade Calculations
First Year - Semester Two
- College Writing Skills
- Electronics and Fuel 1
- Gear Trains 1
- Suspension, Steering & Brakes1
Second Year - Semester Three
- Electrical, Electronics, and Fuel 2
- Engine Systems 2
- Gear Trains 2
- Small Business Management
Second Year - Semester Four
- Applied Management Principles
- Applied Work Practices 2
- Electrical, Electronics, and Fuel 3
- Suspension, Steering and Brakes 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Get a hands-on education that will prepare you for this trade:
- Learn by doing in Loyalist's new state-of-the-art Bay of Quinte Skills Centre.
- Practise your skills on real vehicles and vehicle components in a safe learning environment.
- Gain practical knowledge of safe environmental practises and small business management.
- Enjoy extracurricular opportunities including the annual Show and Shine event, Drive to Survive, Santa Claus parade, Heels on Wheels, and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas.
- SEMA has invited Loyalist students to participate in its student placement program for the past several years – the only College Automotive program in Canada to participate in the program.
- Selected parts of the course content mirrors that of the three levels of the Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship program.
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
Credential:Two-year Ontario College Diploma (Technician)
Find your career
Motive power tradespeople possess refined knowledge, diagnostic abilities and business management skills.
- A one-year certificate prepares you for a career as parts and counter personnel.
- A two-year diploma prepares you for a technical position, and provides the practical training to manage a small business or franchise.
- Graduates work with dealerships, manufacturers, service and repair shops, parts distributors, retail stores, wholesalers, insurance appraisers and adjustors, and manufacturing plants for automotive-related items.
- Activities may include repairs, writing customer service orders, sales, customer relations, parts counter service, warranty claim processing, supervision and insurance appraisal.
Message the school
About this institute
Loyalist College empowers students, faculty, staff, and partners through experiential, economic, cluster-based applied programs and research that provide career-ready graduates for, and knowledge transfer to, industry and the community....
Why study at Loyalist College
In a world obsessed with big, we are small.
Small gives us the power to do big things. And things that make a big difference to our students, community, and partners. In an impersonal world of big lecture halls and stadium seating, we know our students by name and circumstance.
Small frees us to provide personal one-on-one attention, in small classes and learning environments. Small means our students feel like they matter. That they belong. That they are no longer invisible in a world which had passed them by. Small means that we can move mountains to help every student succeed, confident in who they are and what they are capable of becoming.
We are Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology.
We are small.
Want to know more about Motive Power Technician - Service and Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!