Master of Biochemical Engineering TechnologyKU Leuven
Master of Biochemical Engineering Technology
All available course dates
About this program
Master of Biochemical Engineering Technology
This master’s program provides in-depth, interdisciplinary training in biochemical engineering as practiced in various contexts and sectors. Particular areas of focus include food science, biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, and environmental sciences. In addition to fundamental (bio)chemical and scientific coursework, the curriculum includes assignments in socio-economics and biotechnology.
This program focuses on the application of biomedical processes in a wide range of sectors, such as biotechnology, food, environment and pharmaceutics. You become familiar with all kinds of techniques for monitoring biological processes: recombinant DNA-techniques, immunological, molecular and micro-biological detection and identification techniques, chemical analysis techniques, etc. Throughout your education, you will acquire the scientific and technical knowledge necessary to handle and to manage these processes in a business environment.
This master's program incorporates knowledge from various industries (food, biomedical, pharmaceutical, environmental, etc.) to provide a well-rounded graduate-level curriculum in biochemical engineering.
In addition to fundamental (bio)chemical-scientific course units, you will take courses in socio-economics (company management, economics) and biotechnology (engineering, separation techniques, fermentation technology, molecular biology techniques, industrial biochemistry and microbiology, environmental technology, bioreactor design, etc.).
A flexible cross-campus elective package and a master's thesis conducted in either a research-specific or an industrial context enable you to focus your studies according to your specific interests and career goals.
The admission policy is intended to ensure equal opportunity of access to higher education for qualified European and third country students. There are three ways to be admitted to the program:
- Direct admission, on the basis of a relevant degree obtained in the Flemish Community. You can check the list of relevant programs here.
- After a preparatory program, which is meant for students that obtained a degree at an institution of the Flemish Community that does not give immediate access to this program. You can check the list of programs that require a preparatory or bridging program here.
- After an admission process, which is meant for students that obtained a degree outside the Flemish Community. They have to meet the conditions below.
All applications from students who have obtained a degree outside the Flemish Community are evaluated by both KU Leuven Admissions Office and the relevant master’s program director. Final admission decisions will made be at the discretion of the Faculty.
- Academic background: The candidate needs to have an honours bachelor’s degree (B.Sc., B.Tech., B.Eng., etc.) or a master's degree in a related/cognate subject area, a solid background in science and mathematics and a clear affinity with the major.
- English language proficiency: All applicants who have not obtained a previous diploma in a program taught in English in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America must submit a certificate proving their proficiency in English.
- GRE-scores: Even though submitting a GRE test is not mandatory, we encourage applicants to submit such a test, as it can be an asset to your application.
For more information about admission requirements, Please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Biochemical Analytical Methods
- Quality Control and Assurance
- Separation Process Principles II
- Management and Communication
- Pathways to Sustainability: Core Issues and Challenges
- Master's Thesis / Masterproef
T Leuven Campus
- Sustainable Energy Production
- The Use of Molecular Biology and Ecology in Industrial Processes
- Trends and Innovations in the Biomedical Sector
Malting and Brewing Technology
Short International Course
International module master of engineering technology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, Please visit the university website for more information.
The courses taught in English and Dutch.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees
Credits: 60 ECTS
As a master in Engineering Technology, you are prepared to take advantage of a whole world of opportunities. Masters in Engineering Technology are active in the most diverse positions, professions and sectors all over the world. They are the engine of innovation in business and society. Masters in Biochemical Technology have a wide range of career opportunities, be it as a biotechnologist, biochemical analyst, biocatalysis expert, engineer brewing technology, forensic researcher, nutrition engineer, pharmaceutical engineer, quality assurance engineer, ...
Message the school
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about Master of Biochemical Engineering Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!