European Master in Sustainable Food Systems Engineering, Technology and BusinessKU Leuven
About this program
European Master in Sustainable Food Systems Engineering, Technology and Business
This two-year European Master promotes a transversal and multidisciplinary approach to a broad range of topics related to the 4S-pillars: Science, Sustainability, Safety and Simulation.
The European Master of Sustainable Food Systems Engineering, Technology and Business offers an education that is at the same time broad and in-depth. The program aims to develop and foster knowledge and awareness of scientific trends in food science, safety and quality, food product, process design and sustainable production, computational methods and risk analysis within a global context, as well as to identify key concerns about ecological and community issues relating to food systems and their production.
The course seeks to expand the scope of theoretical research and policy debates over sustainable agriculture and food production. It offers a better understanding of food systems and ecological dynamics and offers strategies in terms of regenerating natural systems. Understanding and development of key issues in food legislation and regulations and application of quality management systems in the supply chain are integral components of the course. The focus on social concerns arising from food production, marketing, economics and consumption practices are addressed in an international context.
The admission policy is intended to ensure equal opportunity of access to higher education for qualified European and third country students. All applications are evaluated by both KU Leuven Admissions Office and the relevant master’s program director. Final admission decisions will made be at the discretion of the Faculty.
- Academic background: A Bachelor Degree or a diploma at the level of a Bachelor Degree in relevant subjects or a discipline related to the content of the program, from a recognized university, college or institute with an end result of at least second class upper or equivalent.
- Recommendations: At least two recommendation letters are requested (at least one of the referees has to come from the university of origin).
- English language proficiency: All applicants who have not obtained a previous diploma in a program taught in English in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States of America must submit a certificate proving their proficiency in English.
- GRE test results are not mandatory. However, submitting GRE scores might still be considered as an asset when applying.
For more information about admission requirements, Please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Food Science Fundamentals
- Food Safety and Quality Fundamentals
- Sustainable Food Product and Food Process Design Fundamentals
- Computational Food Science, Technology and Engineering Fundamentals
University of Catolica Portuguesa
Environmental Practices and Sustainability
- Business and Economics in Food Industry
- Sustainable Production of Plant based Food Products: Cereals
- Sustainable Production of Food from Animal Origin: Meat and Dairy
University College Dublin
- Predictive Modelling and Risk Assessment
- Hyperspectral Imaging and Data Analysis
- Waste to Energy Processes and Technology
- Innovative Food Processing and Technology
- Project-Thesis KU Leuven
- Project-Thesis Universidade Católica Portuguesa
- Project-Thesis Hochschule Anhalt
- Project-Thesis University College Dublin
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, Please visit the university website for more information.
The courses taught in English.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees
Credits: 120 ECTS
The program prepares competent employees for varied sectors of work including food production, food processing, agribusiness, and positions at educational institutions, government departments and private companies.
You will be highly skilled and prepared for work at the highest professional level, able to solve problems and to present research.
Message the school
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about European Master in Sustainable Food Systems Engineering, Technology and Business? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!