Established in 1922, Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) provides studies and research in all areas answering the demands of today’s ever-changing world. Ranked the 1st in Lithuania by alumni employability and student satisfaction, KTU is among the top 500 world universities by employer reputation criteria (QS World University Rankings 2019).
Sustaining extensive links with business and industry, KTU is one of the most open and flexible universities in Lithuania, engaging in joint projects with the largest local companies, international corporations, and state and cultural institutions. The synergy of the physical, social, and technological sciences and the humanities and arts creates an open, exciting, and fertile environment for the development of competencies that are of crucial importance today.
International students can choose between 37 undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs and 19 doctoral programs in English in the fields of:
- Physical Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Creative Arts & Design
Find out more about Kaunas University of Technology by filling in your details and the school will contact you.
The city of young and talented people: every 7th inhabitant studies at a university or college. Therefore, this is also the city of students. The 2nd largest city in Lithuania but the main objects are in an easy reach on foot or by bicycle. The city is among the top 10 most cost-effective cities in Europe.
Why study at Kaunas University of Technology
Kaunas University of Technology is continuously investing in students’ happiness by improving their study environment and its quality, by providing opportunities to be active in sports, arts, students’ associations, and by helping them to build their confidence.
KTU, the main provider of research services for business and industry, one of the most active science institutions in Lithuania boasts impressive research facilities. In addition to state-of-the-art laboratories designed for studies, such as FabLab, Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab, Auto Diagnostics Lab and others, the laboratories of Santaka Valley and the Faculties equipped with the newest technology are open to student research and studies.
- One of the best technical universities in the Baltic States
- Opportunity to create a Start-up in the KTU Startup Space (KTU is the founder of the first academic Startup community in Lithuania)
- More than 30 various sports groups
- 6 types of mentors: peer, academic, career, and research mentors, social buddy and tutor
- >500 agreements with business and public organisations worldwide: NATO, BASF, ELSIS TS, Samsung, Hitachi, Bloomberg and others
- KTU Career Centre provides help in creating your CV and motivation letters as well as with other issues connected to career
- >300 partner universities provide opportunity to participate in the exchange programmes: studies and internships abroad.
Awards & Accreditations
- No 50 in Eastern and Central Europe and Asia (logo: QS Emerging Europe and Central Asia 2018)
- No 2 in Lithuania (National Rankings 2018)
- Among 450 best world universities in the field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Logo: QS by Subject 2018)
- 1001+ Times Higher Education
Student services & facilities
Kaunas University of Technology offers a wide range of services to support our students. This can include academic, personal or financial support or guidance. KTU students can receive state support, accommodation grants, one-time social scholarship. They can apply for Talent, Sponsor or Incentive scholarships.
All international students automatically become candidates to receive the Scholarship for International Students, which is assigned for first year Bachelor or Master students with strong academic records and motivation.
At KTU, our students’ emotional wellbeing is a priority. Professional psychological help is available to KTU students free of charge, and our KTU chaplain is available for spiritual guidance. Mentors and counsellors at the Faculties, the Student Information Centre and Career Centre assist students who need academic help or career guidance.
Labelled a student capital for several decades, Kaunas is much more than just the second largest Lithuanian city. Lush parks, lively squares, cosy cafes and buzzing cultural life make Kaunas attractive not only as a travel destination but also as a place to live. Over 40 thousand students study in Kaunas, and of these, around 10% are international students.
The main campus of KTU –where the main buildings of the engineering and technology faculties, as well as dormitories are located – is in the most beautiful neighbourhood of the city. The oak grove Ąžuolynas, the largest urban forest in Europe of mature oaks covering 84 hectares, is just a short stroll away from the campus. Walking through quiet streets lined with Kaunas’ signature modernist architecture, one can reach the city centre on foot.
On the campus, all the main teaching and research facilities are situated nearby. University sports halls and courts, dormitories, shops and recreational areas are all within reach.
KTU boasts the active student community, where everyone can find an activity to nurture their talents, to pursue their interests, to aim for higher achievements or just to relax after studies. KTU students are:
- Talented students are invited to join a GIFTed community, which offers various paths for self-improvement, including (but not limited to) projects with business, research and personal development.
- 700 teachers, researchers, business representatives are mentoring KTU students in all stages of the University life – from their first days to choosing a career. KTU is the first university in Lithuania to provide extensive mentorship for its students.
- KTU is ranked 1st in the national rankings by employers’ reputation; our graduates are the most sought-after in the job market. The annual KTU Career Days, organised by the Career Centre – all things related to the preparation for the future job – is the biggest event of this kind in the Baltics (140 companies were represented, more than 9 thousand people visited the fair in 2019).
- 21 different societies and organisations are thriving in the KTU student community. From hiking to engineering, from photography to debates – everyone can fit in and find a place for self-expression.
- 6 art societies invite KTU students to explore their creative side.
- At KTU we believe that a healthy mind lives in a healthy body – our students can choose from 100 weekly sports classes, and join one of 20 sports teams. All of this is free of charge.
KTU students can get accommodation at 12 KTU dormitories. The easy and fast dormitory reservation system allows checking for a free room and to book a place. A single room in a dormitory costs up to 155 euros per month, and a double is up to 130 euros.
Stats reveal that compared to the Lithuanian capital Vilnius, living in Kaunas is much more economical: here one would pay almost 57% less for rent and 9% less for a meal in a restaurant (which means that even students can afford it, occasionally). Most international students say that € 350–400 per month is enough to cover the living costs (depending on their habits and shopping choices).
Scholarships & funding
- KTU students can receive state support, accommodation grants, one-time social scholarship. They can apply for Talent, Sponsor or Incentive scholarships.
- All international students automatically become candidates to receive the Scholarship for International Students, which is assigned for first year Bachelor or Master students with strong academic records and motivation.
- The residents of European Union countries and the global citizens of Lithuanian origin can apply for state-funded study places. This means that all the applicants, who fall into one of the aforementioned categories, will participate in the general admission’s competition for state-funded study places and get the chance to study free of charge, depending on their admission score.
Want to get more information about this institute and its programs? Fill out the following form and we'll pass it on directly to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!