About this program
Bioinformatics and Genetics
In today’s world molecular biology, biochemistry and other biological fields are becoming increasingly information driven. Mainly the need of processing massive quantities of sequence information generated by recent developments in genome sequencing and proteome analysis has propelled these life sciences into a new era in which computer science, information technologies, and biology merged into a single discipline as bioinformatics. Accordingly genetics in conjunction with bioinformatics have been changing the old view in clinical diagnostics. By comprehensive genetic testing, individuals who are more susceptible to disease can be identified before any disease even exists. This way early predictive measures can be taken. Moreover personalized drug design, to tailor a specialized treatment based on your genetic makeup, seems to be a standard way of disease treatment in the near future.
In our department we concentrate on computer-aided drug design. In computer aided drug design a receptor molecule of the disease-causing mechanism is modelled in the computer. Succeedingly a drug molecule is designed to interact with the receptor molecule in such a way to fix malfunctioning mechanism of the protein. The candidate drug molecule can be a novel chemical structure which has been not synthesized before as well as a match from a database of already known drug molecules. This way of in silico computations of drug-enzyme interactions significantly shortens the process of experimental drug design for the target receptor.
Dynamics of the receptors to which drug molecules bind to is another field of study in our department. Understanding the functioning mechanism of the receptor is the very first step towards developing a way to interfere with its working mechanism. These receptor molecules are dynamic structures and the structural fluctuations in their dynamics is related to how they function Thus we are aiming to understand how these dynamic structures are functioning depending on different environment factors.
Applicants should obtain the required scores from Transition to Higher Education Examination (YGS), First Cycle Placement Test (LYS/MF 3), and Direct Transfer Test (DGS). Placements are centrally organized by Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM).
International students applying for the program must follow the admissions criteria determined by Kadir Has University. Students can transfer into the program by following Kadir Has University regulations on the basis concerning horizontal transfer.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Intoduction to Biology
- Chemistry I
- Calculus I
- Physics I
- Physics Laboratory I
- Turkish Language I
- Chemistry II
- English II
- Calculus II
- Physics II
- Physics Laboratory II
- Turkish Language II
- Principles of Atatürk and History of Turkish Republic I
- Bioinformatics I
- Organic Chemistry I
- Programming Languages
- Internship I
- Principles of Atatürk and History of Turkish Republic II
- Numerical Methods and Optimization Techniques
- Bioinformatics II
- Organic Chemistry II
- Cell Biology and Genetics I
- Biochemistry I
- Internship II
- Technical Elective-I
- Technical Elective-II
- Cell Biology and Genetics II
- Biochemistry II
- Technical Elective-III
- Technical Elective-IV
- KHAS Elective
- Recent Advances in Genetics
- Graduate Project I
- Technical Elective-V
- Social Elective-I
- Technical Elective-VI
- Computer Aided Drug Design
- Graduate Project II
- Technical Elective-VIII
- Technical Elective-VII
- Social Elective-II
- Molecular Modelling and Simulation
- DNA and Biotechnology
- Fluid Dynamics in Biological Systems
- Protein Folding
- Ethical Issues in Genetics
- Pharmacophore Modelling
- Molecular Biophysics
- Biological Data and Data Mining
- Genomics and Proteomics
- Statistical Thermodynamics
- Computational Structural Biology
- Pharmocokineticsand Enyzme Kinetics
- Molecular Evolution
- Organic Chemistry of Drug Design and Drug Action
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Environmental Microbiology
- Principles and Practice of Drug Development
- Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Materials Science
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the website.
$12,000 per year
Upon successfull completion of the program, students will be awarded with Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics and Genetics (The Qualifications frameworks in the European Higher Education Area, QF-EHEA: Level 1, European Qualifications Framework (EQF-LLL): Level 6).
- To understand and the ability to use the fundamental concepts of mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology to solve complex scientific problems
- To be able to investigate the scientific problems in bioinformatics and genetics; the ability to design experiment, to conduct experiment in silico, in vitro or in vivo, to collect data, to analyze data, to get the results and to interpret, independently, or as part of a group
- To be able recognize structure and reaction of organic molecules, to understand and the ability to conceptualize the interaction of chemical features, biological activities and living features of organic molecules
- The ability to find the interaction between structures and enzyme kinetics of the organic molecules, and to use this interaction for drug design
- The ability to do molecular modeling and dynamic biological system simulation using basic statistics, physics, bioinformatics and computational biology methods, and/or programming languages
- To understand and the ability to conceptualize cell biology, genetic structure, heredity, genome and evolutionary mechanisms
- To be able to follow the developments in bioinformatics and genetics with a critical point of view; the habit of monitor progress and awareness of life-long education
- The awareness and responsibility in professional, environmental and quality issues
- To ability to communicate on scientific topics, verbal and written, in English and in Turkish
Upon successful completion of the undergraduate program, candidates can go on to graduate programs based on their GPA and admission criteria of the applied graduate program
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the program, the graduates of this department have a wide scale of job opportunities. The universities, faculty of medicine at different universities, forensic science, the R&D departments of the pharmaceutical companies, genetic research and diagnosis centers, biotechnology companies, agricultural and food companies, insurance companies, and energy industry are few of many. Besides, they have opportunity to build career via national and international Master's degree and PhD programs
Message the school
About this institute
Kadir Has University
Kadir Has University, one of the oldest foundation universities in Turkey, is located in the heart of Istanbul. The university with 5 Undergraduate faculties and School of Graduate Studies, is dedicated to becoming a leader in Turkish higher education and...
Want to know more about Bioinformatics and Genetics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!