Wildland FirefighterFox Valley Technical College
About this program
Your interest in the outdoors and intense physical activity could lead to a rewarding career protecting life, property and natural resources from wildfires. Gain the skills you need to use planned, controlled fire as a tool in wildlife management, forestry or endangered species management. You’ll learn about the ignition and suppression of wildland and prescribed fire, along with the safe operation of equipment. You’ll also get plenty of hands-on experience in live fire situations. Your training will cover ecosystem-based management, emergency response, hazardous materials, structural and wildland fire practices. You’ll be part of an elite and uniquely qualified group of wildland firefighters.
An academic skills assessment is required for admission into this program or the following: High School GPA of 2.75 or higher (last 10 years) OR provide completion of associate’s or higher degree OR; 165 or higher on your 2014 series GED tests OR; ACT OR SAT OR Accuplacer OR Companion OR Compass (last 3 years) to waive to the general education level; The cost of the Accuplacer assessment is $15.
Students enrolled in the Wildland Fire program must purchase and wear personal protective equipment that meets industry standards.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Plant Identification
- Exploring Natural Resources
- Wildfire Intro S130/S190/L180
- S-219 Firing Operations
- Fitness Qualification Prep 1
- S133/S211/S131 Safety/Pumps/FF1
- Wildfire Equipment Operation
- Hazmat Awareness & Operations
- Emergency Medical Responder with Healthcare Provider CPR
- Natural Resources Common Topics
- S212 Wildland Fire Chainsaws
- Fire Experience
- Fire Prep
- Wildlife Mgmt - Nongame and Hunted Species
- Forestry 1
- History of Wildfire
- Forest Recreation Environmental Education
- Forestry 2
- S290 Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior
- Prescribed Fire
- S134 & RT130 Annual Refresher
- Written Communication
- College Mathematics
- Oral/Interpersonal Comm
- General Biology
- Intro to Psychology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Estimated program cost: $10,166.16
Degree: Associate Degree (AAS)
Credit Points: 62 Credits
- Demonstrate a level of fitness, personal health, professional appearance and behavior required to perform the duties of a wildland firefighter.
- Demonstrate the ability to function in a highly structured organizational system while adapting to change in a dynamic wildland fire environment.
- Communicate effectively, in both oral and written format, with other employees, supervisors, government officials, interest groups and individual citizens.
- Operate wildland fire and prescribed burn equipment safely and efficiently.
- Complete National Wildfire Coordinating Group certification training to attain qualifications toward Wildland Firefighter Type 1 with an advanced fire behavior understanding.
- Manage/extinguish live wildland fire and prescribed burns as a member of a team with an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of each position.
- Analyze the history of wildland fire and its effects on fire suppression in the United States today.
- Articulate benefits of using prescribed fire to achieve specific management objectives including ecological effects.
Earn the following National Wildfire Coordinating Group certifications as part of your program completion:
- Wildland Firefighter II certificate and qualification
- S-219 certificate
- S-212 certificate
- S-290 certificate
- Endangered Species Technician
- Engine Crew Member
- Forestry Technician
- Hand Crew Member
- Prescribed Fire Technician
- Wildland Firefighter
- Wildland Technician
Message the school
About this institute
Fox Valley Technical College
Want to prepare for a career that is cutting edge? At Fox Valley Technical College you get a hands on, high-tech education that prepares you for the workplace of tomorrow. Fox Valley Technical College has been the college of choice...
Why study at Fox Valley Technical College
Fox Valley Technical College, a 2-year public college in Appleton and Oshkosh, Wisconsin, has been the college of choice in this community for over 100 years.
You get high-tech occupational training for the workplace of today, whether you’re preparing for a new career or sharpening your job skills. With over 200 programs to choose from, you can put your career on the fast track.
Fox Valley Technical College
Want to know more about Wildland Firefighter? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!