Master of Material Engineering and Product Development
Over the years, Sweden has gained an international reputation for its high-quality steel production and advanced manufacturing technology that has come as a direct result of major strategic investment in education and research. The province of Dalarna is a strong base for the steel industry and home to Dalarna University.
By taking this Master's Program in Materials Engineering and Product Development, you will gain in-depth knowledge in materials engineering and the product development process, both key to a successful career within the manufacturing industry.
Focus is on detailed comprehension of the connection between product development, production, microstructure, properties and performance of various products. You will acquire the competence and skills necessary to become an innovative technical problem-solver with knowledge of materials engineering and product development.
You will be taught on various subjects related to materials engineering, such as mechanical properties, powder metallurgy including additive manufacturing, surface engineering and tribology, and materials selection and design. Further, you will learn about modularity and its benefits in the areas of design, production, cost and quality. As well, you will gain an understanding of the problems that can arise in the development of a modularised product range. You will also come to understand effective product design and the performance of various products using materials engineering knowledge.
If you wish to gain better knowledge and understanding related to both materials engineering and product development, then you are strongly encouraged to apply to this program. The program includes the composition of a thesis; as such, the program is ideal for you if your intention is to pursue research or if your aim is to demonstrate your skills and abilities to understand both materials engineering and product development for potential employers.
Specific entry requirements
Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical, Metallurgy, Materials Science, Production Engineering) or equivalent degree of at least 180 credits. Documented language proficiency knowledge equivalent to English B/English 6 at Swedish upper secondary school or equivalent knowledge.
English language proficiency
The most common tests and important scores that are accepted are:
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Mechanical Properties of Metals
- Project Management
- Powder Metallurgy with Additive Manufacturing
- Materials and Surface Characterisation
- Surface Engineering and Tribology
- Product Development Methods
- Problem Solving
- Solid Mechanics advanced course
- Materials Selection and Design
- Advanced FEM
- Failure Analysis and Prevention
- Degree Thesis in Materials Engineering
- First Tuition Fee Installment: 67 500 SEK
- Total Tuition Fee: 270 000 SEK
EU/EEA Citizens or exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in one-semester installments and the first payment (67 500 SEK) must be paid no later than June 1. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application.
Scholarships & funding
There are a number of scholarships available for successful program applicants who are not EU/EEA citizens.
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Upon completion of the program, you will be awarded a Master of Science or Master of Engineering (120 credits), Main Field of Study: Materials Technology.
A student graduating from the master´s program in Materials Engineering and Product Development shall have the following knowledge, skills, and judgement abilities.
Knowledge and understanding
- show in-depth understanding of various mechanical properties of metallic materials to develop more efficient processes and materials,
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of characterisation methods of materials and their applications so as to understand the mechanical, surface, and tribological properties of various components produced by different methods and metallic materials,
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of various factors that influence materials and processes selection in production, distribution, usage, and recycling,
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the product development process and the factors that drive the product modularisation,
- demonstrate knowledge in non-linear finite element analysis with emphasis on material models.
Competence and skills
- demonstrate the ability, with an engineering approach, to solve problems related to industrial materials,
- demonstrate the skill and ability to plan, implement, evaluate, and present projects orally and in written form in English,
- demonstrate the ability to analyse problems in a structured way using problem-solving methods,
- demonstrate the ability to create modular product concepts and to assess the impact of different alternatives through the product life cycle.
Judgement and approach
- evaluate complex engineering problems in terms of materials and/or product development from a holistic perspective, which can be incompletely defined and which can contain conflicting information,
- demonstrate the ability to evaluate different materials engineering and product development solutions by taking technical, social, economic, and environmental aspects into account.
This program will prepare you for advanced studies in PhD programs in Materials Engineering.
Upon completion of the program, you will be prepared for positions such as materials and product development engineers in the steel and manufacturing industries at innovative companies such as SSAB, Sandvik, Atlas Copco, ABB, Outokumpu, and 3M.
About this institute
Dalarna University is a small, modern university located in the beautiful province of Dalarna in central Sweden. The provincial landscape offers wonderful opportunities for exploration in stunning natural surroundings. The university has two campuses in small towns Falun and Borlänge....
Why study at Dalarna University
Sweden ranked #3 study abroad country
Sweden has been ranked the #3 study abroad country in Europe for 2020! With a high English language proficiency and the headquarters of companies like H&M and Spotify, Sweden was also ranked #1 in Europe for students who want to achieve their career goals.
Want to know more about Master of Material Engineering and Product Development? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!