Master of Energy Efficient Built Environment
Our master's program, which developed from our extensive research in the fields of construction and energy technology, will provide you with the skills required to help lower the carbon footprint of buildings while ensuring comfortable living conditions for the occupants. It will introduce you to innovative design concepts and novel approaches to help you tackle current and future environment and societal challenges.
You are strongly advised to apply to this program if you are interested in working with green buildings and energy-efficient construction or if you would like to become a field specialist in advising homeowners, businesses, and local authorities on questions related to environmental and energy-conscious solutions.
Specific entry requirements
- Bachelor of Science from the construction-related field (architectural, building, mechanical, energy, or civil engineering) or equivalent of at least 180 credits (ETCS), or an equivalent degree.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency.
English language proficiency
The most common tests and important scores that are accepted are:
- IELTS (academic training), 6.5 (with no part of the test below 5.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): 90 (with a minimum of 20 on the written part)
- TOEFL (paper-based): 575 (with a minimum of 4.5 on the written part)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Energy-Efficient Buildings
- Solar Radiation and Solar Geometry
- Bio-climatic Responsive Design Studio
- Building Energy Performance Simulation and Analysis
- Solar Building Design
- Low-Energy HVAC Systems
- Energy and Urban Planning
- Life Cycle Assessment and Cost Analysis
- Sustainable Building Rating Systems
- Thesis Work in Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment
- First Tuition Fee Installment: 67 500 SEK
- Total Tuition Fee: 135 000 SEK
EU/EEA Citizens or exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees.
Tuition fees are paid in one-semester installments and the first payment (67 500 SEK) must be paid no later than June 1. This allows for reasonable processing time for a residence permit application. The second payment (67 500 SEK) is submitted before the start of the second semester.
Scholarships & funding
There are a number of scholarships available for successful non-EU/EEA applicants to the Energy Efficient Built Environment program.
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
Upon completion of the program, students will graduate with a Master of Science Degree (60 Credits) in Energy Efficient Built Environment
After completing the program, the student will be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
- demonstrate a basic understanding of how geographical location, adjacent environment and climate influences the solar and other renewable energy potential of premises,
- demonstrate a broad knowledge of low-energy building design strategies: their focus, their approach and main characteristics (i.e. advantages, disadvantages, applicability and limitations),
- demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of various energy efficiency measures and the ability to select the right ones for specific situations while taking into considerations material properties, building structures and technologies, economic and environmental costs, as well as personal or societal preferences,
- demonstrate a working knowledge of various sustainability certification schemes and energy efficiency assessment tools,
- demonstrate a critical understanding of how the technological, economic and social contexts—such as the available or dominant energy system, the existing urban infrastructure, the local building tradition, the development rules and regulations, and the individual or social attitudes—influence energy conservation targets, approaches and outcomes.
Competence and skills
- integrate knowledge encompassing various physical scales and disciplines that influence the energy efficiency of the built environment, as well as to critically assess specific problems and situations,
- demonstrate the ability to identify problems, and to design and implement a plan—using suitable methods—to remedy the situation within a given timeframe,
- demonstrate the ability to deliver energy efficiency concepts and proposals during the design or retrofitting process of a building and to present the knowledge and the rationale behind the proposal to fellow professionals, to the public and to various other stakeholders,
- demonstrate advanced skills required for both participating in research and development and executing qualified independent work aiming to improve the energy efficiency of the built environment.
Judgment and approach
- demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate design proposals and existing buildings, and to propose informed solutions for improving their thermal and environmental performance in a way that is both socially and environmentally sustainable and is also ethically legitimate,
- demonstrate a broad knowledge of the technical, social, economic and ethical drivers and barriers to achieving energy efficiency in the built environment,
- demonstrate the ability to identify personal needs for supplemental knowledge and to take responsibility for the development of his or her own knowledge.
This master's program provides you with a solid foundation for positions that involve the delivery of energy-efficient solutions for the built environment. This degree will present you with the opportunity to act as a specialty consultant to various construction and engineering firms or local municipalities.
Potential future employers are:
- Consultancy firms
- Housing companies
- Leading design and construction firms
- Government and non-government organisations
Organisations and businesses are increasingly in need of qualified professionals in their team who have a working knowledge of energy efficiency. The growing demand for such knowledge means that as a graduate, you will enjoy great flexibility in the implementation of your expertise within various fields of civil, environmental, and construction engineering. All in all, this degree will open doors to many fields.
This degree focuses on energy-efficiency challenges in cold and temperate climates. The knowledge you therefore gain will make you an attractive candidate for the construction industry in Europe, North America, and China. Furthermore, the international character of the program – in terms of both students and faculty – will not only prepare you to work in an international environment, but will also allow you to develop your worldwide professional network.
About this institute
Dalarna University is a small, modern university located in the beautiful province of Dalarna in central Sweden. The provincial landscape offers wonderful opportunities for exploration in stunning natural surroundings. The university has two campuses in small towns Falun and Borlänge....
Why study at Dalarna University
Sweden ranked #3 study abroad country
Sweden has been ranked the #3 study abroad country in Europe for 2020! With a high English language proficiency and the headquarters of companies like H&M and Spotify, Sweden was also ranked #1 in Europe for students who want to achieve their career goals.
Want to know more about Master of Energy Efficient Built Environment? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!