Welcome to Carleton University!
Carleton University is located in beautiful Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Carleton is committed to giving back through education while pursuing contributions to the common good. These founding values are at the heart of the university’s focus on research, community partnerships and teaching excellence.
The nation’s capital is home to over 130 embassies and high commissions from around the world, government and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and numerous museums.
Strong connections with the high-tech sector, and with local industry leaders and research scientists have helped us create many valuable opportunities for students.
- Top 5 among comprehensive universities in Canada (Maclean's 2022)
- #3 for student satisfaction (Maclean's 2022)
In the classroom, we challenge your thinking and teach you the skills you need to succeed. Outside the classroom, we challenge you to apply your knowledge and skills to real world situations.
Find out more about Carleton University by filling in your details and the school will contact you.
Scholarships & funding
Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
When you apply to Carleton, you are automatically considered for the entrance scholarships (yes—international students too)! These awards range from $1,000 to $4,000 CAD per year based on your admissions average, and are renewable each year based on academic performance. No application required. (Please visit their website or send an information request for details.)
Number of Scholarships Value Admission Average
- Unlimited @ $16,000 $4,000 x four years Renewable* 95-100%
- Unlimited @ 12,000 $3,000 x four years Renewable* 90-94.9%
- Unlimited @ $8,000 $2,000 x four years Renewable* 85-89.9%
- Unlimited @ $4,000 $1,000 x four years Renewable* 80- 84.9%
*Scholarships are renewable with an A- standing (annual GPA of 10.0). Renewable means that if they are lost in one year, they can be regained in future years.
Why study at Carleton University
- A large percentage of Canada’s major medical, clinical and life science research centres are located in the Ottawa area, as well as a growing technology industry with over 1,900 companies.
- The majority of their programs feature work-study opportunities (known as “co-op”), that allow students to gain full-time, paid employment related to their academic program.
- Carleton is a close-knit, supportive and diverse community. This includes academic support, help with jobs and career, health and counselling, student life, athletics, and 300+ student-run clubs and societies. Students come from 140+ countries and have many opportunities to get involved in community-building activities both on and off-campus.
- Campus is a green oasis, nestled between the Rideau River, Rideau Canal and Dow’s Lake. Their self-contained campus and focus on community encourage student interaction, which can provide you with both valuable communication skills and lasting friendships.
- Qualified applicants are automatically offered entrance scholarships ranging from $4,000 to $16,000 CAD over four years, and a place in one of Carleton’s on-campus residences.
Carleton University is in the Top 10 Countries to Study Abroad
Awards & Accreditations
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Canadian Environmental Accreditation Commission (CEAC)
Council of Ontario Universities (COU)
Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)
Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB)
Computer Science Accreditation Council (CSAC)
Student services & facilities
Caring is built into the Carleton community, with support covering all areas - academics, funding, career goals, health, and wellness – with lots of social and fun activities too! Carleton ranked third for overall satisfaction among students (Maclean’s, 2021), in large part because of the services available to students - all designed for a successful university experience.
Academic support is particularly robust, with peer study sessions, workshops on exam preparation, academic writing, and much more. Career and Co-op offices help students find co-op placements, organizing networking events and career fairs, and getting job-ready with resumes, cover letters, and interview skills.
Students also have many opportunities to volunteer and get involved with the wider community.
International students receive dedicated support from Carleton’s International Student Services Office. This office organizes orientation and arrival for international students at the start of their studies, as well as fun cultural and social activities throughout the year. International students can access dedicated peer advisors, as well as advice and workshops on a range of issues, including:
- Health insurance
- Study and work permits
If you’re looking for a nice study spot, Carleton is located on a beautiful 62-hectare campus bordered by the Rideau River and the historic Rideau Canal. You can spend time in nature right in the heart of their nation’s capital!
Carleton has industry supported labs and facilities (sponsored by Alcatel, Texas Instruments, Huawei and TELUS to name a few), new eco friendly buildings designed for collaboration and sustainability, and an award-winning library with its Discovery Centre (gaming lab, 3-D printers and workout desks).
They also have extensive athletics facilities:
- 50 metre pool with diving tower
- International squash courts
- Fitness centre with numerous cardio and weight training options
- Saunas and gymnasiums
- Indoor sports-field with running track
- Twin-pad ice area
- Five tennis courts
- 3,000 seat soccer/football stadium
- Over 120 exciting classes offered
See for yourself: Take a virtual tour of Carleton on their website!
Attending classes is only one part of your university experience. Campus life is also about joining clubs and societies, taking advantage of special events and lectures, connecting with friends and participating in one of the community outreach programs.
300+ clubs and societies
Their extensive network of clubs and societies is another great way to meet new people and pursue your interests outside the classroom.
A diverse and supportive community
Their campus community places great emphasis on providing a respectful and supportive environment in which students can thrive academically and socially.
Carleton has a long history of welcoming students from around the world - 14 per cent of our 31,000+ students are international students, from more than 140 countries.
You will quickly see that part of the Carleton culture is making meaningful contributions. Students, faculty and staff are involved - through research and collaboration, as well as volunteering and community-building - both locally and internationally. There are many opportunities at Carleton to learn and grow from diverse perspectives, and become engaged global citizens.
Whatever your athletic interest or fitness level, you are sure to find something that suits you. You can try out for a team, sign up for one of our many fitness classes, or make use of our extensive facilities.
*Please visit their website to stay up to date on the latest health and safety information related to living in residence during the current global crisis.
Make friends and enjoy the convenience of living on campus
Residence is ideal if you want to experience university life as a member of a vibrant, close-knit community. Carleton is home to eight residence halls, and you will love living minutes away from your classes, the library, athletics and a large dining hall. Residence offers friendship, support, convenience, and community!
Carleton’s award-winning Residence Life program is designed to help you reach your academic and personal goals, and includes residence counsellors, live-in residence staff and a focus on learning outside the classroom.
First-year residence guarantee
At Carleton, a double traditional room is guaranteed to all new, first-year students entering directly from high school. Please visit their website for details.
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
Want to get more information about this institute and its programs? Fill out the following form and we'll pass it on directly to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.