Architectural Engineering (Year in Industry) (MEng)
The creation of buildings is a complex operation that requires the skills of many disciplines. Our BEng Architectural Engineering degree aims to provide you with an in-depth understanding of civil engineering with a specific focus on structural engineering and the built environment. This course brings together the precision of engineering with the creativity of building design, with an emphasis on environmental factors.
This course includes the opportunity to take a year of industrial placement between your second and third years of academic study. With this option we will support you in finding a placement that will allow you to experience at first- hand, a professional working environment. If you are successful in securing a placement you will be paid a salary and will enhance your employability skills through direct experience of working in business, industry or the public sector.
On the academic side you will develop a thorough understanding of theory, backed up by practical application through laboratory and research work, field trips and design classes.
All of our civil engineering related degrees are fully accredited by the Institutions of Civil and Structural Engineers. In your professional development as an engineer, the BEng degree satisfies the educational requirements to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng), and partially satisfies the requirements to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Note that if Chartered status is important to you, a four-year Cardiff MEng course may offer a quicker, more direct route.
Other Cardiff University Architectural Engineering courses available include:
- the opportunity to satisfy the full educational requirements to become a Chartered Engineer if you choose a MEng course
- the opportunity to follow a sandwich year in industry if you choose the relevant four-year BEng or five-year MEng degree option
- the opportunity to study abroad at a partner institution for one semester if you choose the relevant MEng (International) degree option
- the opportunity to study a language if you choose the relevant MEng degree option with a sandwich year at a university in France, Germany or Spain.
Typical A level offer
AAA-AAB. Must include grade A in Maths. You will need to pass the science practical element of the A-level if this is part of your programme of study.
Extended/International Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ/IPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
English language requirements
Grade C or grade 4 in GCSE English Language.
At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each subskill.
At least 90 overall with minimum scores of 17 for writing, 17 for listening, 18 for reading and 20 for speaking.
At least 62 overall with a minimum of 59 in all communicative skills.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
The modules shown are an example of the typical curriculum and will be reviewed prior to the 2022/23 academic year. The final modules will be published by September 2022.
- Engineering Analysis
- Computing 1
- Environmental Fluid and Geomechanics
- Materials and Construction
- Design Studies
- Professional Engineering
- Engineering Analysis
- History of Western Architecture
- Computing 2
- Hydraulics and Soil Mechanics
- Professional Studies and Construction
- Structural Analysis and Design
Year Three: Sandwich Year
- Industrial Training
- Construction and Construction Management
- Integrated Building Design
- Architectural Engineering Design Studio
- Tensile Structures
- Structural Analysis
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Design Studies
- Integrated Building Design
- Building and Infrastructure Information Modelling
- Professional Engineering Studies
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fees for UK and Ireland Students: £9,000 per year.
- Tuition fees for International Students: £23,450 per year.
For more information about tuition fee, please visit the university website.
What skills will I practise and develop?
This course is accredited via the Engineering Council, meaning the core competencies of UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) are integrated throughout the taught years of the course.
Through lab work you will develop practical skills focused on the application of a range of engineering principles to real-life technological, regulatory and ethical problems encountered in the engineering profession.
You will also:
- Develop your understanding of architecture, building conceptual design and building services within the context of engineering and construction
- Enhance your communication skills, both orally and in writing through a series of reports and assignments
- Develop your knowledge, skills and confidence to solve multidisciplinary problems in a civil engineering context
A number of graduates have opted for further study, either at MSc or PhD level, at institutions across the UK.
Our graduates are mainly employed in the civil and structural engineering fields with major consultancy and contracting firms, with roles such as graduate civil or structural engineer or building design engineer.
In the latest graduate employment survey 93% of the School’s graduates who were available for work reported they were in employment and/or further study within six months of graduation.
Our graduates are typically employed in major companies such as Arup, Atkins, Capita Symonds and Ramboll, in destinations all over the UK and further afield. We also have graduates working for architectural and building services practices.
Others have chosen to work for national and multinational companies. Recent examples include companies in the financial, media and marketing sectors with destinations including Deloitte, PwC and Virgin.
A film highlighting what you can expect if you choose to study at the Welsh School of Architecture.
About this institute
Founded in 1883, Cardiff University combines a prestigious heritage with impressive modern facilities, on one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. As part of the Russell Group, our students benefit from our outstanding research quality and reputation, while...
Want to know more about Architectural Engineering (Year in Industry) (MEng)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!